Unexpected Surprise

Includes Species Profile.
regalado95

Today while I was feeding my finches I heard some little peeps and I was curious because the only time I had heard that noise is when their is babies. So I went nest to nest and when I opened my gouldian finch nest their were three healthy babies. They seem like they barely hatched. I guess I wont be taking out the parents to new avairy room. I'm happy for them, I will keep you guys updated and will try to take some pics when they are at least two weeks old. This couple doesn't mind if I take a little peek, but I don't want to disturb them.
tom07

that would've been a nice surprise.. thats what im hoping for i havn't seen my female emblema for 12 days and cant find her anywhere so hopefuly she is sitting on some eggs somewhere time will tell i guess but i am starting to get a bit worried now :(
regalado95

Sorry to hear that I hope the same thing... have my fingers crossed.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My girl emblema dissappears for weeks on end too. It is a worry to not know where she is at times .
Just a tip though , I lost a girl emblema to butcher birds ( pulled her through the wire ) I assumed she was on eggs the only thing that made me think something was wrong was the male was hopping in and out of the nest and was acting strange so I guess if the male is acting normally then you can relax and assume the girl is OK...
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
tom07

thanks for the advice im guessing butcher birds are magpies??? and how can they fit through the 10mm x 10mm wire ??? thanks tom
Cheeseman

tom07 wrote:thanks for the advice im guessing butcher birds are magpies??? and how can they fit through the 10mm x 10mm wire ??? thanks tom
Not Magpies, but the Pied variety does bear a strong resemblance, see links below for more information.
http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/finder/ ... .cfm?id=22
http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/bird/23
Cal
2 Pairs of Zebra Finches
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Butcher birds will gang up on an aviary and each hang on to a side of the aviary thus driving the occupants to panic and land on the aviary sides this is when the butcher bird will grab the bird by a leg or wing and try to drag it through the wire.
Even if they cant pull a bird through the wire the damage done will kill the bird by shock or bleeding out.
Minor birds use the same technique around here.
They have become very skilled at killing aviary birds , the Minors being the worst on ly because they gather in large numbers where as the butcher birds will usually only be as a pair .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
tom07

that is sad is there anything you can do to avoid this??
scottsgouldians

Thats great, Butcher birds are enemy no 1 around my cages they can't pull them out but they mame them and they usually die from the attack , double wire on thetop and front stops the little buggers. I had bh/sf/hen attacked 3days ago but touch wood she has pulled threw[the only bay on my 4 bay cage without double wire on the side . cheers scott.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My Cuban hen - see avatar - has been invisible for a couple of weeks now, so have everything crossed.
Cock acting normal.
Would love to breed from this pair and see if she can pass that white face on.
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”