Book about Softbill management

garymc

Agree totally with Madhatter - We know that the smaller button quail as a group(littles, redchested and redbacked) have been bred many times aviaries of the dimensions you will be having Jayburd. The dotterals on the other hand would be a bit of an unknown (a big bit at that).
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Which is actually why I want them. I would like buttons I admit, but dotterels are far greater in appeal and challenge.

And from all evidence so far seen here, it seems feasible to me. I may be young but I know how to do things.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Jay i admire the way that you want to be successful with some of the hard to breed and keep birds, BUT you are still young my friend and there is no rush to dive in to deep, having the license to keep double bars doesnt mean that you will be successful with doterals, I was young once and wanted to take over the world but mum stopped that an made me join the military. mate the key factors in buying these birds is their care , I want to see you succeed as much as any body but I AM going to hit you with some what ifs......what if you find yourself a girlfriend who takes up all your time, what if you find a good job that makes you move away from home....what will happen to the the birds , will they suffer?.Some softbills need alot of care and some dont so I suggest you give some of the easier ones to keep a go for a few years then if all goes well by some doterals , mate I have had birds since I was 6 or 7 and and don't feel confident enough with a few of them , SO I am not having a go I just want whats best for all and no tears shed along the way.....Pete
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I appreciate it Pete.
poitta wrote:what if you find yourself a girlfriend who takes up all your time
Let's face it: I am an addict: if I find a girlfriend ever, there's no question she would have to be able to put up with me and my birds.
poitta wrote:what if you find a good job that makes you move away from home....what will happen to the the birds
Here's how I stand: I'm a boy of school age with no school! How many young people actually have a time - consuming hobby and the time to spend? That's also my main reason always to want to dive deep quick, because really no one's going to take me on as a worker until I'm at LEAST 16. so that's still at least 4 years of free time to get things done!
poitta wrote:will they suffer?
Of course not! I support the type of people who say: 'I will keep them until I am no longer able'. If I am no longer able, then it's not fair to the birds to continue attempting to keep them.
poitta wrote: mate I have had birds since I was 6 or 7 and and don't feel confident enough with a few of them
I've been keeping finches since I was 5, and I happily admit there are certain species I will never be able to keep, such as some of the rarer waxbills, and whydahs. not to mention other types of bird.
Julian

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
E Orix

Jayburd
We have been over this before.
Trying to breed the rarer types can be sole destroying.
Over the years I have seen people buy and try and breed rarer types only to fail and in a short space of time they sell their remaining stock
and are gone from our hobby.
Why are some species more expensive than others,they are rarer,why are they rarer? because they are in general harder to breed.
I am now 62 years old,I got my 1st pair of Zebra Finches when I was 5 or 6 as I had an family member who kept birds and introduced me to birdkeeping.
Infact I was younger than that when I was introduced to seeing cage/aviary birds.
Today I supply some of the rarer types and of the people who buy my stock few turn out selling against me. Why? the birds are good young stock yet alot fail.
The reason lack of experience, You can't beat the years of trial and error.I bet Garymac would have torn his hair out in frustration over the years.(sorry Gary)
Sorry Jayburd but you must walk before you FLY!!!! It may be frustrating but slow down and show us that you can breed the lower/middle rung species first.
If you are successful there, then you will be amazed at the amount of assistance that will be offered. Avis. of my vintage will be most willing to back you as we need younger people getting in and getting that most needed experience. But you must put some runs on the board first.
E Orix
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OK then. I WILL breed the middle rung species. I WILL show you over 4 consecutive sets of young orange breasts and cordons.
and then I WILL have things like Blue Caps, Dotterels and Grenadiers
Julian

E Orix

Now you are really on the correct path.
Get the basics right and it becomes automatic, then you will be able to show us old guys how to breed birds.
There are so many areas you need to understand and be able to locate/workout etc.
What livefood is required and where to get it and how much to feed out and when.
What nesting material do particular species use and where do I get it
What part of my aviary do particular species like to nest.
What type of brush do the birds need,where do I get it and how and where do I put it
Is there any special requirements that a particular specie requires in the aviary
What species will go together without problems
Have I reached the time when I am relaxed enough to only put a few birds in an aviary rather than stacking as many birds as I could in the aviary.
You never stop learning and sadly you never seem to stop making mistakes
But we still live in hope and swear that the next season will be better and less mistakes.
If it was easy all the birds would be as common as Zebras or Gouldians
Bird books are great and make life easier,but general experience is invaluable, especially if you learn from your mistakes.
After all of these points PLEASE KEEP UP YOUR ENTHUISIASM its a valuable thing to have.
Buzzard-1

I totally agree with E Orix, but in saying that Jay if there was one young person who could do it it would be you, you've shown us that you have the passion and are not adverse to researching and listening and learning(Image).If you start properly with one specie and find that money douse not become a problem as you don't work,( I have two kids living at home and apparently my wallet is bottomless in their eyesImage) then move on to others you WILL get all the support you ask for from members and other breeders but only if you choose to do it right.Best of luck in your endeavours.Remember small steps done properly beats brash enthusiasm any day.Cheers Buzz
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey Gary, how is that baby dotterel going?
Julian

garymc

That one or its sister (they both turned out hens - which worked out well because the other pair have reared five which are all cocks) is now happy in south australia. The other hen is waiting permits to go to NSW. The chicks start losing the fluffy down at between 4 to 6 weeks and are almost full grown and feathered by 8.

That particular pair are back on eggs which if fertile must be very close to hatching. The nest is out in the open sun and rain if we ever get any - and they sit very tightly - must get bloody hot but they just keep sitting.

Return to “Inland Dotterals”