saffron finches

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
wellingtoncdm

Hello, I have two saffron finches that look identical. I have had them for over a year and cannot tell them apart or sex them. They live outside in a huge cage. One makes a small amount of noise but it doesn't sound like a real song. It just started doing it so maybe it's trying to learn to sing? It's late spring here in Florida so maybe he's just starting. Both look exactly like this: http://www.geometer.org/Brazil2006/imag ... nFinch.jpg Any thoughts?

Thanks, Charlie
E Orix

Charlie
The nominated race can be sexed.
The male generally has a deeper orange cap on the fore head and is more yellow than the female.
The male will generally perch and sing while the hen is far more reserved.
The male can be quite aggresive and will drive(chase)the hen.
If you need more assistance go to the NFSS site and there will be people there with more experience with species kept in the USA
wellingtoncdm

Thanks for your reply. They have been together for over a year and get along well. Would that be if they were both males? Neither have really sung or laid any eggs. I am afraid to buy another one and add it not knowing which sex I need. I will try to take and post a photo of them. Thanks again, Charlie

Return to “Non Specific Questions”