Oriental Greenfinches

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
dano_68

Jayburd wrote:I've just got an email back form Russell Kingston about a species suitable to canberra for my finch club to sponsor - among the birds listed was the Oriental Greenfinch.

Can anyone help me with a bit of info? how much do they cost? are they good in a mixed aviary? can they be kept as 2pr in the same aviary? are they free breeders? that sort of stuff :)

Thanks!
Oriental Green Finches...my experience!

How much do they cost?
The current cost in QLD is $200 a pair. I have seen them advertised on Petlink for $160 in VIC and $120 in NSW. However, when I called the NSW breeder he was nervous about answering questions like – are the aviary bred? Pure strain? Related? He mentioned he also kept Green Finches so that was enough for me to hang up. Now do you get why they were so cheap? Hmmmmm

Are they good in a mixed aviary?
I have only ever kept them in a mixed aviary. For the most part they are fine, however I did have a young cock bird a few months ago that took a dislike to my Cordons. In fact, the OGF pick a Cordon up by the scruff of the neck and gave him a good shake. Now before you start feeling sorry for the Cordon, those little buggers ask for everything they get! Lol They would annoy and torment the OGF until he snapped! Other than that I have never seen them attack another species. The only time they get agro is at roosting time, with each other.

Can they be kept as 2pr in the same aviary?
I had 2 pair in one aviary 2m x 1.8m x 1.8m with a few other birds. Each night they have the annoying habit of sleeping on the wire (much like Siskins do). For some reason they would bicker and fight over the same bit of wire to sleep on – they only had 6 sq metres of mesh to choose from, but they always wanted the same bit…sheeesh…anyway, these little dust ups could get quite agro. So much so I ended up separating the pairs. So in short, yes, 1 pair per aviary and they should be fine in a mixed collection so long as they are not cramped in.

Are they free breeders?
I would say no. They seem to have a fairly regimented breeding season – June/July – January. Mine have tried many times to build a nest in the brush, however they usually fail. So I feel sorry for them and put a couple of canary cup nests in and bang, they will go down in a week! You can tell when they are ready to nest because the cockbird will start to feed the hen on the perch. Usually a week or 2 later they are on eggs.

I normally get 3 eggs and fledge 3 chicks. Live food is not that important but lots of greens are! We have a type of lawn grass up here called nut grass. Anyway, when the shoots are just coming up you can pull them and the middle comes out. You have a nice white shoot – anyway, I give these every day during the breeding season and the OGF eat nearly all of these and no other green food! Even though I give wild panic, chickweed, milk thistle and dandelion they tend to go for the grass shoots. Another favourite is Safflower seeds. These seeds are normally too big for other finches but the OGF’s love them. Not sure if they can crack them, but they love to suck and chew on one for ages. They look like old men chewing tobacco lol. I was feeding my birds Greens and Grains until the source dried up!! Grrrrrr…anyway, the OGF would rarely eat any other seed mixes or single seeds but the Greens and grains. I actually got really worried when I couldn’t buy it any more, but they have moved on. I have replicated the g&g best I can and they eat this ok. I think it is the Barnyard Grass they like. Oh, but they also like the QFS tonic mix – occasionally.

Other Observations
OGF are very flighty birds. You could even call them nervous types at times. Whenever you go near the aviary they will go nuts. If I hadn’t bred them myself I would have thought they were wild caught birds! Other finches just fly to the other end, where these maniacs will bang from one side to the other. But they also play this game at dusk by themselves, and I really get the impression they like doing it.

They trill/chatter all day long and when courting the cockbirds will sing a beautiful song not dissimilar to a canary.

For most part they stick to themselves and don’t really even acknowledge the other finches in the aviary. Even though they are bigger than all of the Estrildids, they are easy intimidated by say, a Golden Song Sparrow (Passer luteus) cock – half their size!

I love watching OGF fly. The waft like a butterfly and the brilliant flashes of yellow in their wings are stunning.

If you want something completely different to most Estrildid finches then these birds are great. I really enjoy them and will probably always keep them. They have a unique personality and their subtle grey black head cap, yellow wing flashes and happy song make a wonderful addition to any aviary.

They are getting harder to find these days which is a real shame. I have also had 2 enquires from down south to buy hens from me to cross with Himalayan Green Finches (Cardeulis spinoides). HGF are even rarer now and these idiots are trying to make a quick buck by crossing them with OGF. I will NEVER be a party to this kind of thing. In fact, I always give them a blast down the line for even calling me!

One last thing – never mix them with Himalayan Greenfinch or European Greenfinch (Carduelis chloris) – they will hybridize. However, I have kept them with European Goldfinches (Carduelis carduelis) for years and they never even look at each other.

So that’s my story – I love them!
iaos

From a Layman's point of view, can someone post photos or links to pictures of the 3 species mentioned?
Cheers
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Dano!! that's great!!
:clap: :D
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oh and also, so the treason 2pr didn't get on was lack of wire-space? or was there another reason?
my aviary will have quite a bit of wire space :D ;)
also, where can I get green panic seeds? I read an article abotu hopw fabulous they are yesterday - but where do I get them?
Julian

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
Lukec

Hi Dano

In your opinion, would these guys settle down in cage environment?......i know do this in europe......if so are they a bird that settles quickly?

A cage say 90cm L x 50cm W x 50cm H.

Also at a lot of the sales i have been to in the last two years at cessnock and singleton Himilayan green finches have been common albeit only 2/3 pairs each time..............they also appeared quite young birds.

Are there significant differences evident with a Himilayan hybrid?.........have you / anyone here had much experience?......also interested in knowing if they are likely to settle down ina caged environment as well?.....................

Cheers
Luke
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
dano_68

Jayburd wrote:...where can I get green panic seeds? ...
Jay, i get green panic from the wild but I also buy it as dry seed from my favourite suppliers Australian Wildlife supplies ([url]http://www.wildlifesupplies.com.au/[url]).
Lukec wrote:...In your opinion, would these guys settle down in cage environment?
Hi Luke, in my opinion NO WAY lol. I would think these Australian bred birds are not designed to go into cages. I reckon they would belt themselves senseless every time you went near them.

Himalayan’s are obvious different to look at, but to someone that was not familiar with them the 2 breeds would look similar. I would have to say the Himalayans are far more attractive and that's why they probably cost a LOT more - around $700 - $1500 a pair depending what state you get them from. They are also a lot more difficult to breed. A good mate of mine has them and they have proved to be one of his greatest challenges to date (and he breeds some real finicky birds!)

Grey-capped greenfinch (Oriental greenfinch) - this is a wild one in China - mine look much slimer than this.
Carduelis_sinica_lg.jpg
Yellow-breasted greenfinch (Himalayan greenfinch)
Carduelis_spinoides_lg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iaos

Cheers
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

awesome pics :D
Julian

finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are times when it is a good thing I do not have the money and space to go with my time. Like when I see pics of such adorable finches. :soppy:
LML
LML
fincher

they are certainly a nice looken bird but over here in the west vary rarely seen them nd wen u doo there old birds or cocks. wouldnt mind getting a couple prs myself but sourcing them is the probs and like dano said i want unrelated prs nd avairy bred birds nd young wouldnt deffinatly like a crack at these to try and boost the numbers on the west coast

thanks chris

Return to “Non Specific Questions”