Forest Fodys

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol:
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
VR1Ton

Just put up some netting over the hill, plenty of talking Galahs down there, although you'd probably get more sense out of a real one.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most of the galahs down that way are some type of mutation and shouldn't be listened to
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Buzzard-1

Mickp wrote:Most of the galahs down that way are some type of mutation and shouldn't be listened to
VR1Ton

I think a few of them might be rabid, cause they dribble a fair bit, alothough I think it's more S@!t than foam coming out their mouth.
Myzomela

It's just an example of what you get when you start with crap stock and then they are left to inbreed!!!!!!!! No brains & lots of noise
http://www.aussiefinchforum.net/po" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 44&t=5209#
I know, not very politically correct of me. Just as well I don't work for the government- I'd lose my job for talking about myself!!!!!!!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
123macc10

acmment re the grenadier weaver and orange bishop stating the grenadier was such in australia and in africa an orange bishop is incrrect as they are distinct species and both are available in australia cheers michael
E Orix

123macc10
I am not sure what you are saying.
If it was from my posting what I was saying, the bird we know of here in Aust as the Grenadier Weaver is known in Southern Africa as an Orange Bishop or Orange Weaver or Orange Canary to name just a few.Over there it is a common specie and virtually every dam or pond with reeds growing in it would hold a small colony at least.The only time you may not see them is if the dam is frequented by the local children I guess.
The Grenadier Weaver as we know it is E.Orix, the Orange Bishop as we know it frequents further northerly areas,I do not know what they call it locally but most likely Orange Weaver or Orange Bishop it is E.Franciscana.Both Orange and Black Weavers but with many variation from each other.
Quite a few African reference books differ in these two species as well as the Napoleon Weaver and the Taha Weaver both are refered to as E.afer or E.afa or even E.afer taha. If they have different names for them we will most definitely struggle.All I know is I like them all.
Thank you for you interest its good to get opinions.
desertbirds

Getting back to Forest Fodies you can see the uneven colour and splashes of red where it should be all grey.Its very hard to find good photos on the net for comparison.The original cock bird that i had did have a clean line between the colours.That bird for some reason suffered from overgrown toe nails and it led to him getting caught on some wire and damaging a wing,he could still fly but not well enough to chase the hens into breeding condition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Myzomela

I think that's the point Desertbirds-
Since the original breeder of the Forest Fody selected for birds which most looked like the original "Type" birds, there will be some "intergrades". That's the price you pay when you start off with birds that aren't totally pure.
So the aim is to start off with birds that most closely resemble the true Forest Fody in this case ie clean breast line and all-grey abdomen. This, of course, is not always possible but I believe there are enough birds around that most closely resemble the true bird -or as close as we're ever going to get to them anyway!!
Research; evaluate;observe;act

Return to “Non Specific Questions”