Golden Song Sparrows

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
Bgould

Hi do any forum members keep/breed song sparrows. Are they best kept in pairs or do you keep them in small colonies. Also would these be suitable to have with weavers or would you keep them with larger finches.
dano_68

Hi bgould, I keep them and actually have a pair on eggs right now! Firstly, some cocks can be a little pugnacious, but I have found mine to be no more offence than any other finch. In fact I have a Tricoloured PF cockbirds that likes to give the GSS a dust up once and a while (but it does that to every other species as well!).

I have found them to do best in either 1 pair in a smallish mixed collection, OR as 4-5pair plus in a large colony situation. So it depends on the size of your aviary.
They are very active birds and like to fly around a lot. They are also very chatty, and sometimes, like when breeding are just plain noisy lol. GSS are also a little shy/skittish so they like somewhere to hide occasionally.

I keep mine (for a long time) with Ruddies, Cordons, Parrot finches, Munias, Carduelis, Pytilia etc. with absolutely no problems. They require a lot of live food, especially when they have young and you need at least 2 types – eg. Mealworms & Maggots but the more variety you have the better. I used to also feed termites but they are getting too hard to obtain now. I know some breeders that also feed crickets and moths.

Golden Song Sparrows are in my top 10 of finches to keep – I simply love them!! They are defiantly not a beginners species, and at around $400 a pair this should keep the newbies away lol.

So do you have any? Or are you thinking of getting them? I am always on the look out for GSS breeders so I can swap and obtain fresh blood with.
Bgould

Thanks dano_68 for your reply. I havent any at the moment but will keep them in the furure. But I would like to know a much as possible about them before obtaining them. I do know of a breeder who has them and does well with them also. I can pm you his details if you like.
dano_68

Bgould wrote:Thanks dano_68 for your reply. I havent any at the moment but will keep them in the furure. But I would like to know a much as possible about them before obtaining them. I do know of a breeder who has them and does well with them also. I can pm you his details if you like.
Yes please do send me their details I would really appreciate it!
Bgould

Ok Pm has been sent to you dano_68
Weaver

I keep mine either as single pairs or in groups of 3 pair or more (in larger aviaries) both in mixed collections with little trouble.
They are birds with a lot of character, chirping and chatting with each other all the time. Watching them trying to manouver a twig 3 times their own length into a narrow opening is facinating.
One slight draw back with these guys though, is they will monopolise the live food bowls, often killing all the crickets and mealworms before other birds can feed. For this reason I do not house them with other highly insectiverous finches.

Return to “Non Specific Questions”