Trying to figure out birds age

Includes Species Profile
superfinch

How can I tell if a hen is young, because I know the males will start to lose their necklace band as they get older so I assume if you see it with half a necklace and whistling it would be a young male.

I want to buy a pair from the bird sales but I want to make sure I'm getting young pairs not excess male stock and old hens. I'm finding it very hard to trust the sellers at these bird sales and I haven't come across a breeder in vic yet who has any so I can just buy it from them. But even then how do I trust the breeder as anyone can call themselves a breeder.

I've had some bad luck from the sales so I want to be more learned and cautious.

Any tips?
E Orix

We can all make mistakes, the breast should be a solid lemon yellow, young birds tend to be grey green.
If the necklace is broken by even one feather leave it well alone as most likely it is a young male.
Do you live anywhere near St Albans in Melbourne.
superfinch

E Orix wrote:We can all make mistakes, the breast should be a solid lemon yellow, young birds tend to be grey green.
If the necklace is broken by even one feather leave it well alone as most likely it is a young male.
Do you live anywhere near St Albans in Melbourne.
Thanks for the tip, yeah I live close enough, I live in Tullamarine.
garyh

Excellent breeder in sunbury,trust worthy and usually has young for sale at this time of the year,if interested either pm me or ring 97282928 ,hope you find the right birds .cheers garyh.

Return to “Green Singer”