I just got a pair of melbas and........

Includes Species Profile
Finchster

Hi i just got a pair of Melba's and was wondering if there are any tips for breeding
these gorgeous birds? :D
Anthony keeping Blue faced Parrot Finches/ normal yellow & Yellow fawn stars/ Melba's/ Red Faced Pytilia/ Fawn St Helena.
BENSONSAN

Lotsa live food...fly traps etc.

Ben
E Orix

Melbas are really a lovely finch but they are not anywhere as easy to breed as the Waxbills
Over the years I have bred them and even tried to get a strain that would rear consistantly on only Mealworms and failed.
Should you want to consistantly breed good clutch numbers all the time then sadly you have to feed Termites.
The other problem,WATCH the females because there are a percentage that will drive the males from the feed try
and actually starve them to death.
Also I found one pair to an aviary was best.
fincher

yes only way to succesfully breed melbas is to give them termites.uncle is have great succes wit them he would like to breed from a few more pr but avairy space is to a limit. also jsut becarefull what other finches you house them with as they can become a bully to smaller finches around the livefood tray dish

thanks chris
Finchster

fincher wrote:yes only way to succesfully breed melbas is to give them termites.uncle is have great succes wit them he would like to breed from a few more pr but avairy space is to a limit. also jsut becarefull what other finches you house them with as they can become a bully to smaller finches around the livefood tray dish

thanks chris

Oh thanks i really want to find a supplier in melb for termites. You don't know anyone? :)
Cause ive asked around a little no luck.
Anthony keeping Blue faced Parrot Finches/ normal yellow & Yellow fawn stars/ Melba's/ Red Faced Pytilia/ Fawn St Helena.
E Orix

Sadly in your case I feel you will be out of luck.
White Ants(Termites) are generally collected and stored by the person wanting them.
Be very careful about how you keep them as there are many over the years that have had their birdroom,aviary shelter or other wooden structure eaten by Termites that they have been keeping to feed out.
gomer

Oh thanks i really want to find a supplier in melb for termites. You don't know anyone? :)
Cause ive asked around a little no luck.

Maybe something in that.If someone is in a high termite area,And is able to freight them.Not sure how labour intensive they are to get up north.But the ones I find down here in trees,(That i don't use) Seem to last a very long time away from the Queen in the wood shed.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
toothlessjaws

Bird City in coburg reckon that they occasionally get termites in for sale. but if the cost is comparable to what they sell their birds at - then saying they won't be cheap would be a gross understatement. ($200 for a pair of masked doves anyone?)
Finchster

toothlessjaws wrote:Bird City in coburg reckon that they occasionally get termites in for sale. but if the cost is comparable to what they sell their birds at - then saying they won't be cheap would be a gross understatement. ($200 for a pair of masked doves anyone?)

Yeah they have said they might be getting some in soon and yes they are pretty expensive.
I actually sell my birds to them some times. If termites are that great for breeding and Bird City ends
up being the only place to sell them then ill pay if increases my stock :D i think its worth the extra money.
Lukec

Hey Finchster, did you have any luck with the Melbas?

Are there many out there?.... these guys seem to be on the decline
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.

Return to “Melba Finch”