Surviving Winter

Includes Species Profile
nirep

Hi dano_68 thanks for the post. I own a strawberry finch and bought it in early spring and it is yet to survive the upcoming winter.I read elsewhere that once established they are quite hardy and I intend on leaving it outdoors under cover and sheltered this winter.Reading your post you say not under 15 C for long periods.Does anyone from the southern states keep them and share their experience and views on the cold?
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nirep,
I know of many here in Canberra who keep them outdoors all winter
However, all but one breeder I know of uses plastic pull-down blinds and/or alcanite sheeting on the walls and open areas of the roof.
The exception I do not think has bred any for a few years.

If their cousin the Orange Breast is anything to go by, they should be quite hardy but I wouldn't take the risk.

Actually, no finch should really be kept in temperatures 7 or below (celsius) for extended periods in my opinion.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
GregH

Ah but Jayburd you forgot about the snow bunting (Plectrophenax nivalis)
desertbirds

copy and paste articles.Define '7 degrees for an extended period of time' and can someone please define a draught versus a slight breeze.I just would like to know what an extented period of time means.Is that overnight or a day here and there or does it mean dont keep these birds if you have cold miserable winters ?
Buzzard-1

From what I understand (I could be way off)from my own experience my birds don't suffer any ill effects from the cold if all breezes/drafts (Wind chill factor) are stopped when temp drops below 5# I have roll down clear plastic blinds which prevent drafts but allow the sun through in the morning to quickly warm birds and cages.The Temp where I am ranges from on average -5 in winter to +40 in summer. After 3 days of temp below 15# they look fluffed up but the only ones I've lost from cold are new birds and mutation gouldians.The best thing bird owners in southern states can do is feed fatty seeds leading upto and through winter I've found. If this is hard to understand let me know and I'll try to explain better.
Diane

Buzzard-1 wrote:The best thing bird owners in southern states can do is feed fatty seeds leading upto and through winter I've found.
Are meaning the niger, linseed, rape and hemp? I feed these seeds during the winter as a suppliment to their normal seeds along with a new addition, hulled oats (or bird McDonalds :lol: ) Do have to careful about the hemp seeds though, I have read it can stimulate the breeding condition.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
desertbirds

Think you`ve hit the nail on the head Buzzard.I didnt mean to have a shot at Dano regarding his article,its just a statement i`ve read so many times and i find it confusing given the fact that many birds are bred in the colder areas of Aus.Your climate sounds very similar to mine.I`ve seen only one set up here with plastic blinds and my concern is that inside the aviary was dripping wet in the morning.It just amazes me that guys like Marcus Pollard can be reasonably successful in Tasmania when its often stated not to subject birds to a climate like that.I`ve noticed most of his aviaries appear to be fully enclosed.
dano_68

desertbirds wrote:Think you`ve hit the nail on the head Buzzard.I didnt mean to have a shot at Dano regarding his article,its just a statement i`ve read so many times and i find it confusing given the fact that many birds are bred in the colder areas of Aus.Your climate sounds very similar to mine.I`ve seen only one set up here with plastic blinds and my concern is that inside the aviary was dripping wet in the morning.It just amazes me that guys like Marcus Pollard can be reasonably successful in Tasmania when its often stated not to subject birds to a climate like that.I`ve noticed most of his aviaries appear to be fully enclosed.
Hi Des, I know Marcus very well and I can assure you he works his bum off keeping his aviaries warm! He has everything from plastic covers to oil heaters in the aviaries!!! He even has to have heaters for his mealworms, flies and crickets.

The profiles I write are my experiences. They work for me. Everyone's set ups are different. If you want to buy some Strawberries for around $100 pr and put them in an ice chest just to see if they will survive then by all means do so. I would love to hear the outcome.

Also, to GregH - what Jay was saying is that most of the exotics we have in Aus have come from a tropical or sub-tropical climate, so we need to cater for that when housing them. We have been able to "toughen up" some species over the years to tolerate colder temperatures (eg Gouldians) but I still would not breed them in an open outdoor aviary in Melbourne for example.

Anyway, I still maintain that MY Strawberry Hen is SOFT and I will not expose her to temps below 15 for more than 2-3 days. That’s probably why they choose to nest in winter – because they spend all day in a nice and warm nest!
Buzzard-1

Number 1 rule, research bird and try to replicate habitat.( In saying that a lot of birds have become harder so to speak through the strong survive and the week die.)
dano_68

lol and as by que, I just went outside and what did I see!
MyStrawbs.jpg
Brisbane 24°C
Current: Rain
Wind: S at 14 km/h
Humidity: 78%

And even though it is 24, it is over cast and my little Strawbs huddled up next to each other for warmth...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Red Avadavat”