^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Latin Name:
Uraeginthus bengalus

Other Names:
Red Cheeked, Red Cheeked Blue Waxbill

Mutations:
Pied

Description:
Adult – Male has a blue face mask which extends past the eyes and slightly above. There is no blue colouring on the top of the head. Only the cock birds will have the bright red cheek patches. Other than the blue along the flanks and tails of these birds the rest of the body is what I would call a greyish colour. On the hen the blue colouring around the throat is not as extensive in area. The hens are a duller blue than the males.
Juveniles - The colouring of juveniles is very similar to that of the adult hen (duller perhaps). The beak is black in colour. Should achieve adult colours between 4 and 6 months.

They are a passive bird and get along well in a mixed collection. The only bird I have been told not to house them with is the Grenadier Weaver.
Live food is considered to be a necessity to successfully breed these birds. Termites, small mealworm and maggots being the favourite live foods of my own birds. Nest inspections should not be attempted as these birds will abandon nests quickly and for the slightest reason. Don’t be surprised if it takes young adults a couple of attempts to get the breeding worked out, they may abandon eggs or even hatchlings for no apparent reason.

Sexing:
The cock bird will have a red cheek patch while the hen will not. Both cocks and hens sing, the song of the cock bird is longer.

Basic Breeding Info:
Average Clutch Size: 4 to 6 eggs
Incubation Period: 14 to 16 days
Leave nest: 17 to 21 days

Approximate cost per pair in Australia:

Queensland:
Normal $45

New South Wales:
Normal $55

Victoria:
Normal $80

Tasmania:

South Australia:
Normal $60
Light Pied $150
Heavy Pied $300

Western Australia:
Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu.jpg
cordon juvenile.jpg
Pied Red Cheeked Cordons.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.

Return to “Red Cheeked Cordon”