what happened to all the cordons?!!!

Includes Species Profile
toothlessjaws

i dunno whats happened down here but cordons seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth and i get scoffed at whenever i ask about getting them.

i have two cock birds and i desperately want to get two hens for them to breed this season.

does anyone know where i can get some?
gomer

I saw a few at sales this year.good luck getting someone to split pairs.If you pay a premium price you will have more luck.If you can find someone not wanting to breed them right now.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

they run hot and cold over here to . some years theres bugger all then theres to many and you cant give them away. wish i could have them. but see waht happens when the weather warms up.....pete
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

a month ago I could have helped with this :roll:
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
toothlessjaws

argh!

total bummer mick.

i'm starting to wonder why i didn't try and catch my last hen than flew out the door!!
tieltale

I was looking at some in SA about 2 weeks ago.. They only had a couple of pair so not sure if still available.
He was wanting $260pr... I wanted them but didnt know where to hide them from the BF who would have had a lot to say about me spending that much :? Other places I called told me they hadnt seen them in a long time.
This guy that was selling them was in Magill SA.
kevins

260 a pair for cordons?....did you say cordons...... that seems dear...they go for about 60 or 70 here ...are you sure they wernt blue caps?
Page0044

That price it sounds like blue caps
Cheers
Greg
tieltale

Hmm yep!! :? Im still learning the difference ... apparantly those were waxbills, right! :D He did also have the cordons for approx $110 a pair..
toothlessjaws

on that topic i gotta say - does anyone else notice how many birdo's seem to become completely confused when it comes to nomenclature (species naming) and the definition of species and subspecies.

for example i recently asked a breeder if they had red-cheeked cordon bleu's. his response was that he'd never heard of them (as if i was a total idiot) and did i mind explaining what that was.

"well its a cordon bleu species with red cheeks - the most common kind"
"that's the only kind"
"no, there are also blue capped cordons, and....."
"blue caps are blue caps, not cordons"

at about which point i hung up the phone. someone should politely tell this man that "cubins" are actually "cubans" - as in they come from cuba....(to which he'll probably say "cuba? never heard of him")

then there are the people who think that the tree types of cordons are subspecies of one another (they are not, they are entirely different species) and interbreed the odd two or three. or what about pekin robins being regularly referred to as "a kind of finch"..........

arghhhhhh!

Return to “Red Cheeked Cordon”