Red Winged Fairy Wren

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
casehulsebosch

Red winged fairy wren cock and hen birds.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
casehulsebosch

Red winged fairy wren ( Malurus elegans) These birds only occur in the South West of West Australia.
I just pass on the little knowledge I have on these birds. We reside in NZ but fly to Margaret River WA about 4 times a year. Ingrid says it is to see the grandkids, I have a different version as I love birds.
My eldest son, knowing my love of birds, introduced me to a small nursery halfway between Margs and Augusta. It is set in the bush and the current owners are third generaton. These people are obviously also very keen of birds and have a wealth of knowledge purely from being around them and observing them.To please me the lady owner calls the birds by making a sound on the back of her hand and they come flocking, knowing it is feeding time. They eat cheese crumbles from out of your hand. At my last visit in October I noticed that there were less Splendid fairy wrens on the property than I had encoutered in recent years. The owners told me that the Red Winged Fairy wren is dominant over the Splendids and that was the reason I was seeing fewer of them.
And yes, I will be going back in April after the finch conference as they also have Oculata's at their backdoor. Cheers, Case
Bgould

Great photo thanks for sharing
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

nice shot :thumbup:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
casehulsebosch

Still experimenting with placing photo's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

looks like you are getting the hang of it :D
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
casehulsebosch

Hi Mick. I was browsing through the forum and saw a link to powertoy readme posted by one of our members (thank you).
I tried it on the second photo of the wrens and yes it did work.............. however. The photo you placed comes up a beauty.
My second photo still has this scroll bar on the right hand side and does not show the ful pic like yours?????

Anyway. Should you want to profile this wren species feel free to do whatever you need to. Regards, Case

Return to “For any species not listed below”