Winnower

Share your favourite books and links here.
casehulsebosch

And here I am again upsetting the applecart. There are of course a great number of bird keepers and breeders that would suggest that used seed should go through the winnower and be given to the birds in the wild rather than recycling it with your own birds. If you have to throw out, or winnow, a lot of seed it might suggest that you are feeding your birds too much. remember that the average finch requires about 7 grams of seed a day. And yes, there are a great number of bird keepers that do ration their birds to this amount daily to make sure they don't only eat the seeds they like but also eat the other seeds that are all part of a good balanced diet. Just to get you thinking. cheers, case
cranberry

Here are some pics. Works unbelievably well for a home made unit. The guy who made it used to keep lots of birds and had his own sheet metal fabrication business, hence how well it is made. This would not be hard for someone to copy and make their own.
winnower 001 (Small).jpg
winnower 002 (Small).jpg
winnower 003 (Small).jpg
winnower 004 (Small).jpg
winnower 005 (Small).jpg
winnower 006 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buzzard-1

Looks really good for the money :thumbup: :thumbup:
cranberry

casehulsebosch wrote:And here I am again upsetting the applecart. There are of course a great number of bird keepers and breeders that would suggest that used seed should go through the winnower and be given to the birds in the wild rather than recycling it with your own birds. If you have to throw out, or winnow, a lot of seed it might suggest that you are feeding your birds too much. remember that the average finch requires about 7 grams of seed a day. And yes, there are a great number of bird keepers that do ration their birds to this amount daily to make sure they don't only eat the seeds they like but also eat the other seeds that are all part of a good balanced diet. Just to get you thinking. cheers, case
I'm not sure why uneaten seed that birds flick off as they are feeding will not be of a good enough quality to feed back to the birds. Can you explain a bit more?
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It looks very well made , Im glad you got a bargain and glad it works so well . :thumbup:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
cranberry

Thanks jusdeb. :thumbup:
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Case ..apples aren't in season till the end of the month here, so the carts safe... :D Seriously though as a birdkeeper that wastes an awful lot of seed can you please elaborate more on how to feed the right amount of seed as to reduce waste ?

Can it be done in a mixed aviary ?

Can it be done in parrot aviaries ?

How can I be sure that everyone is getting their fill ?

Maybe it needs to be a different heading as to not hijack Cranberries posts ...Thanks.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Matt

First thing I did to eliminate wasted seed was to ditch the hoppers and use trays instead. For my cabinets I use commercially available 100mm diameter trays with a lid that has 4 holes in it. I never fill them to the top so they can't just flick it around the bottom of the cage. I know most hoppers these days have a second catching tray but the truth is, whenever the birds can access their favoured seed from the hopper they will continue to empty it. The amount of wasted seed I have now is negligable to the point where I don't bother to attempt to salvage any.

Return to “Books And Links”