Weavers the ups and downs

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
E Orix

I was quite happy around lunch time when I noticed a clutch of Madagascar Weaver chicks crashing around their aviary.
But more pleasing was the young Grenadier hen(1st year) I had placed in and aviary and forgot there was also a young male in there, has just fledged 2 chicks.
I have had 1st year birds breed before but in this situation she reared them without one item of livefood. When she laid I thought she was too young as she was late bred to go the full distance then I was curious if she would continue without any dietry assistance and she did.
Everything was good until this evening,just before dark a quick check around. There on the ground, very dead, was a young Napoleon Weaver female I was holding back until next season.I pulled the crown feathers out and sure enough there was blood under the skin so we must have a one of our rare hawk visits.
Unfortunately this time of the year we get an odd young hawk not long out of the nest looking for an easy meal.
So the day ended up not so good after all. :x :x :x
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bittersweet day .... well at least you had some good news .

Not real happy over this way with a fella across the paddock that is happily allowing hawks to nest in his storage shed , he likes that they keep starlings out , I dont like that my back yard has become part of their territory .

They often hover above my yard , the amazing thing is the reaction of the birds both wild and aviary . The wild take to the trees and then there's dead silence in the aviaries and they dont move a muscle until the wild birds settle back down to foraging.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad you have had some success with the Weavers, Orix but bad news about the hawk. I admit to trying to be tolerant of the hawks that make their home in the bush near by. But still yell at them and chuck rocks if they come too close.
LML
LML
monotwine

Like Deb says a bittersweet day indeed.

I'm not fond of hawks either. Last one that attacked my aviary left with an aweful headache as I don't think he saw the wire. Almost lost my dove though. it took that bird 3 days to recover from the concussion of flying into the wire from fright. Even now, if a large stealthy shadow passes over he looks over his wing and topples over playing dead. Quite funny to watch though if you know nothing is wrong!

Wishing you more and more success for your current season EOrix.
Monique
BENSONSAN

Ahwell hawks have the rite to be there. Sorry tohear that tho orx. These things happen hey. Can't wait to get some grenadiers! Only dream ofhaving aviaries like yours eroix. Sorry if my typings forget I'm on wires iPhone. Very cool to havemobile aff
Myzomela

It's usually the juvenile goshawks that hang around most aviaries, looking for the easy prey. The adults usually have established hunting patterns and don't bother-usually!

I could say you wouldn't have these problems if you had fully roofed aviaries....but that may be just asking for trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

( I know, E Orix,you wouldn't have bred any weavers to worry about losing them to hawk attacks if you did have fully roofed aviaries!)

It's always sad to lose any bird, and funny how it's always the rarest species or sex- or both.

But I guess that's why good breeders like yourself hold back some young stock to compensate for unexpected losses.

At least you live to fight another day- or another breeding season.
Great story about the young Grennies though- there are always birds that break the rules- makes birdkeeping interesting!!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fully roofed here , the hawks are mainly spying on the sparrows / starlings that hang around ...it would have to come down very low to see my birds .

Hope today brings only nice surprises for you Eorix ...for everyone really. :D
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sorry for your loss Orix,
well done with the maddies though!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “For any species not listed below”