Not great nest builders?

Includes Species Profile.
bleeding green

I've heard that Goulds aren't great nest builders. My one pair are currently forming a nest inside a box which has half the front open (rather then just a hole). They have it too the point of a cup shape on the floor of the box. Not bad considering I've been very poor in offering material. Is that about all I can expect them to build and would that be sufficient? I hope so cos it sure makes it easy to peek at the nest and check for eggs/young.
Diane

Compared to parrot finches the gouldians nest are a bit poor, but it seems to work for them. My gouldians make a cup like depression at the back of the box with the swamp grass curling up towards the roof of the box, and when I have inspected old nests it seems there is a pathway from the hole at the front generally leaning either left or right then it swings around to the egg laying area.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Roy

I have found with my gouldians that some are very poor nest builders even to the point of not doing anything to the nest and just laying their eggs on whatever nest I construct for them while others in the same aviary are completely the opposite and build ripper nests :? One of my pairs currently nesting has lined the nest box so well I can hardly see in there when open the inspection lid :lol:
bleeding green

Di, OK so if mine are anything like your they have a bit of a way to go. It will healp when I add some nesting material. Does anyone use hession (spelling)? I had some in there for the pair of canaries from spring and they seem to have made the most of that. I have a bag full they I have frayed so I'll throw some more of that in.

Roy, Hmm so they vary abit and anything goes. I'll give them some more and see what they do. The male seems very keen to me.
Diane

Yes, they do vary in their nest building skills. I have some that build the Taj Mahal, and others that just cant be bothered, the majority are in between. Swamp grass seems to be a favourite with mine, I also offer coconut fibre (big pack Bunnings) they use that too, no feathers though even though they are on offer in the mixed species aviary. The best thing is to watch a gouldian trying to get a foot long piece of dried grass (from the seeding grasses they get) into the box :lol:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
spanna

most of the goulds i have kept have just used a cup shaped nest inside the boxes too. though i did have a pair last year that built their own nest which was almost as big as a diamond firetails, the size of a soccer ball!! it all depends on the individuals, but would definitely have lots of nesting material in there all the time.

Return to “Gouldian”