what are saint helenas like?

Includes Species Profile
MadHatter

Far and away my favorite of the African Waxbill species. I don't have much to add to what's already been said other than they are ideal for a mixed collection, utterly lovely in appearance and beguiling in character. I could not recommend them more highly. :thumbup:
Diane

Thats done it! All these posts and not one bad word to say about them. Im now going to be getting a pair of these at the next sale, roll on end of March (Gawler Bird Sale)
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
flap

We have one pair, haven't had any problems with them, don't seem aggressive, they stick together and are in a mixed aviary with OBs, Painteds, gouldians and stars. Our only issue is that they haven't bred though they have built the odd nest and laid a couple of eggs. The guy we bought them from told us they hadn't done much for him either, but we weren't too worried at the time. But they are a very cute little bird.
flaP
toothlessjaws

in my experience they are rather "swift' compared to other waxbills and quite shy and fast on the wing. they are probably the birds i have that are the have the farthest flight distance. always quick to zoom out of my way.

the only things i find is that they are by far the biggest "nibblers" of all my birds. mine demolish any bamboo or ferns that they can get their little beaks around, nibbling the new shoots and destroying them. so it can be a pain to get plants established, but one large they do fine.

they are also hard to sex (my "pair" are both cocks). so look closely for a dark brown (as opposed to jet black) vent area to sex hens.

however, i find they are always in absolute pristine feather conditions have brilliant red beaks and i am very fond of mine.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sexing has proven a problem for me too. So far have gotten 3 pair, and all turned out to be cocks. :thumbdown:
LML
LML
E Orix

In my opinion the only way to sex Saint Helenas is by the colour under the tail. This method is normally very easy.
The male has BLACK feathers from vent to tail tip the female has generally less dark feathers in the area and her feathers are BROWN.
The amount of area with the darker feathers varies in intensity and area but if the feathers are BROWN I would be buying them as females.
Don't go by the Pink colour of the chest or the Red eye brow as you could get a good quality hen or poor quality male and miss out again.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

People I got them off to begin with told me the amount of colour on the chest/stomache was the way. Then finally got told the black/brown vent feathers method when I got the last pair. But the yellows are a bit harder to tell and "she" was supposed to be the hen. 4th time lucky? Will have to see if anyone has any hens for sale before I make the City next time.
LML
LML
Matt

St helena's are easy to to sex as E Orix says. Cocks have black under the tails and is more extensive. It is plainly visible from several meters away. FB, yellows are exactly the same unless they are also fawn and then they are a more dark brown but still far more extensive than the hen.
branchez

I have a pair of these great little birds,turned out to be great at breeding as well, rearing
clutches of 6 then 5,at the moment sitting on eggs.
flap

So do they only eat live food when breeding? We bought a pair last year and suspect that stars have disrupted their breeding. Stars now been removed and I noticed them going for the mealworms today. Have noticed a couple of hidden nests but not sure whose and not seen Saints in them. Is it a good sign if they are going for the live food? :-)
flaP

Return to “St Helena Waxbill”