Noisy Pitta

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
craigvdl

Am intrigued as to how these would migrate to where this one was found. Vaucluse is at the end of a long peninsula which is heavily populated, but with some bush area right at the end of the peninsula. Unless this little pitta learned to swim there, the only other way to migrate is to take a bus from Central Station. On the other hand, plenty of kiwis seemed to have found their way to Bondi so I suppose anything is possible.....

In all seriousness, I suspect there must be an endemic colony in the park at the end of South Head. Interesting.
Nrg800

It's really quite amazing where pitta's can turn up! I've heard of them flying at least 100km to get to an island, and Red-bellied Pitta's Migrate between New Guinea and Cape York every year.. If he sees the bird again I'd suggest he calls wires, and get them to relocate the bird, because a ground-dwelling bird surrounded by sea and suburbia is extremely vulnerable to cats and dogs (or even bastards with Sling-shots). And it probably got lost, and found itself desperate for re-fueling, found this and though, meh it's not that bad!
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)
iaos

http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/bir ... 00335.html

http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/bir ... 00075.html

http://answerpot.com/showthread.php?220 ... kly+Update

"Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park" "The noisy pitta uses such wet forests in the Sydney region as stopover points between rainforests to the north and south."
http://www.pittwater.nsw.gov.au/recreat ... elvina_bay

I also, remember reports of one bird turning up in the city (like the CBD type city) a number years ago but can't find the details.
iaos

Still a very unusual sighting.

In all my times being dragged around looking for birds with my Dad, I've never seem any of the Pittas.
Nrg800

The latest one was in Glebe, or somewhere, dead, late last year ;)
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nrg I hate to burst your bubble but WIRES are not always the best option for birds that just need a time out before being released .
Certainly OK for injured birds as they will organise a Vet to give the bird a going over and treat any illness or injury before they release them .

The WIRES worker that we handed our Corella over to couldnt get food into him ( oats and milk yes milk :wtf: ) and when she didnt like the screams of a hungry bird she put him out into a damp aviary so she couldnt hear him .

Most often all a bird needs ( uninjured and just a wee bit shocked )is warmth , a feed , a drink and a time out to get some energy back and then released back where it was found .

The recent rains are going to have us seeing birds in many unusual places , some passing by and some permanent .

Dont mean to sound awful mate but some times the do gooders arent really that good.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Nrg800

Yeah, they sometimes forget the basics xD, I wasn't talking about bringing it into care, just relocating it somewhere better for a Pitta, the middle of suburbia isn't the best place ;) xD
Tintola

Nrg800 wrote:Yeah, they sometimes forget the basics xD, I wasn't talking about bringing it into care, just relocating it somewhere better for a Pitta, the middle of suburbia isn't the best place ;) xD
If they are looking for somewhere to locate it, I have the perfect release site. It's 10 mtrs x 10 mtrs square by 4 mtrs high, fully planted with tropical foliage, deep leaf litter and lots of Australian rainforest birds to keep it company. Oh, did I mention that this release site is located in a subtropical climate just next to my house?
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the reply from my birding group

In about 1978 I worked in Bondi Junction in Sydney. It was before I took up bird watching. However we had a birdwatcher on staff and he was handed a bird which had flown into the window. He was amazed as he positively identified a Noisy Pitta. Not far from Vaucluse. It ended up at the zoo.
On another matter when I was at the rugby last Saturday week, at half time there were two raptors hawking for large insects in the lights very high. It was well after dark. They looked like Kestrels but I am not good at the differences in these size raptors and they were quite high. I looked pretty strange looking directly up with my Bins at the footy. But at least it was half time. Has anyone else seen this. I have seen it with owls in street lights but not with raptors.
Also heaps of Gang Gangs around Torrens today. And I agree with the comment about counting Pardalotes in trees. I had a about three trees full of them about a month ago. There would have been over 30 and not calling.
Stephen Brand
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
matcho

Jayburd,

In regards to the birds you saw in the lights they were more than likely Letter Wing or Black Shouldered Kites. Known to hunt like that in twilight and shortly after. Used to see them years ago at footy training at Scarborough Park, Kogarah. Great looking birds.

Return to “For any species not listed below”