Breeders of Splendid Wrens

JenC

I'm writing a Husbandry Manual on the Splendid Wren and am looking for people who keep and/or breed them to have some input in to their captive husbandry. The type of information I'll be needing is what types and sizes of aviaries they are kept in, what they are fed, what other birds they can be put in with etc. I'll be writing the manual over the next few months and just need to get in touch with breeders to see if they can help further down the track.
Thanks
(This post has been edited by moderator.Content of a personal nature has been deleted)
Tintola

I've just noticed your post. I have been breeding Splendid Wrens for about eight yrs, how can I help?
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
JenC

Hi Tintola, I have only just noticed your reply to my post. I have a heap of questions for you. As I cannot send you a pm (not sure why) I will list a few questions here. If there's a better way for me to contact you (ie, email, phone, in person) please send me a pm.

What is your daily cleaning regime? Do you do any daily/weekly/monthly health checks? What type/design of box do you use to transport birds, and do you include food and/or water with them? What are some of the known health problems regarding these birds in captivity?

I'm also finding it hard to find any information on artificial incubation and hand-rearing of these little guys. Do you have any information on this at all?

Any info you (or anyone else) could provide would be fantastic. Thanks. Jen.
Diane

Hi Jen, as you are still a New Member quite a bit of the forum is still closed off to you including the ability to send and receive pms, a few more posts and you will have access to all the areas in the forum.

Welcome.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Tintola

Hello Jen
In answer to some of your questions
1 There is no daily cleaning regime as they are kept in large planted aviaries.
2 Health check daily, as in visual from a distance, if it looks o.k. behaving normally, leave well enough alone.
3 Any transport box suitable for finches, Food is supplied in a "D" cup, soft-food and meal-worms.
4 The only health problems are caused by aggression from other wrens, inadequate diet, or lack of sunshine and unsuitable aviaries.
Do another couple of posts and I can PM you to give you a phone no.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
JenC

Hi Tintola,

Thanks for replying so quick. That information is a great help.

Have you ever had to hand-raise any of your fairy-wrens? One big section of a Husbandry Manual is "Artifical Incubation and Handrearing" and I'm finding it very hard to find any information at all. I think I may have to use information for a similar species if I'm unable to find any breeders who have had to handraise them.
JenC

Thanks bluebutterfly, that clears things up for me.

Return to “Splendid Wren”