Bonded pairs

Includes Species Profile.
flap

We have 5 pairs of gouldians, 3 pairs RH and 2 YH. We separated the YH and put them in breeding cages. We want to rationalise our bird collection to have fewer number and focus on breeding nice birds. If we were to have say 2 pairs of YH and 1 pair of RH in the same aviary but the pairs are bonded to the same head colour, what are the chances of the two head colours crossing?
Also we have had three clutches of RH. some may be partly related but mostly shouldn't be. If we left the 11 chicks together, would they form a bonded pair with unrelated birds, or can they bond/pair off with siblings? We don't want this to happen obviously.
flaP
Buzzard-1

Unless they fledged within a few days of each other the chances are they will bond with their siblings,In saying that there is no guarantee of how they will bond. Years ago I tried box breeding goulds in pairs with disastrous breeding results. I got the sh!*ts chucked them all in a aviary together and the bulk of the head colours paired up, maybe because they bonded in the boxes maybe not, but some of the young out of true paired birds were colour crossed, the hen was either very friendly or a very productive cock bird was doing the rounds. (AS is known in the wild) If they are banded different just watch and it should become apparent early.
Long winded I know but I hope it helped in some way.
Myzomela

Research done at Mike F's facility has shown that infidelity is quite common amongst gouldian pairs, as Buzz's experience has shown.
So even though they may appear bonded, there is no guarantee that the offspring in one nest will all have the same parents.
No comments on morality required :D
Research; evaluate;observe;act
flap

Thanks for the replies, it is what I suspected. So really the only way to stop them pairing up with siblings will be to get them mates from other breeders, right? I was hoping they would have the sense to select unrelated birds from among their flock... And it sounds like the only way to ensure head colours are not crossed will be to keep the two colours in different aviaries.
flaP
Buzzard-1

:thumbup: You got it in one :thumbup:

Return to “Gouldian”