redbrows, double bars or diamonds?

A place to ask about Australian Finches in general.
For example: Questions about more than a single species.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would like to know which of these would seem the best to keep... they all around here locally, so they're used to the climate, and they all require a license (which I have) so it doesn't matter for me in that respect...
I have only had the D/B's before, they were impossible to sex, turned out to be 3 males. :evil: anyway which do you think is best?
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Buzzard-1

Any of the 3 there all good birds. Your aviary your choice you'll find you look after the birds you love better than the birds you like.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:D I love them all, double bars maybe a bit more than the others, but they are such escape artists.
My mum and I have always had a love of diamonds, but I have heard mixed results about these, much like crimsons. any thoughts?
and then redbrows are just the cutest little fluffballs, especially the fledglings :D :D
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
VR1Ton

Work your way through, start with the Doublies, then The Diamonds, then the Red-Heads, easiest to hardest (so I think).
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Red Brows , then more Red Brows and then more Red Brows ....gotta be my favourite finch by far . They have a bit of style about them .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
BENSONSAN

Jay reddies are hard to breed. Other two are easier but u no that. I agree with buzz a vr1. But having sId that I've found reddies to be super hardy for me. My double bars were a pain and there flighty a in a out of everyones nest. Personally for me it would've diamonds or reddies. Reddies are my fav as u no jay. But if you wanna breed something quicker get diamonds. If you do get a breed diamies I will buy some off you hehe. Also weren't diamies your original plan? u still want longtails aswell jay? No matter what you choose tho there all great birds Aussie finches rule!
mackstaa

Dbars and Reddies, Diamonds are abit slow and boisterous for me (a bit like me actually)
Mackstaa
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I subscribe to the whichever you like best answer. For me that is Double Bars, even if they are hard to sex.
LML
LML
desertbirds

How many pairs are you going to put in your new aviary Jayburd ,and what would like to actully breed ?? Before you buy too many birds remeber you have winter coming along soon.
natamambo

Redbrows - they're so cute! Easy to keep, never cause trouble and waaay easier to sex than double bars ;) .

You need several pairs in a well planted aviary to get them to breed though.

Return to “Non Specific Questions”