Gouldian fledging?

Includes Species Profile.
matcho

Went down to the avairy this morning and found 1 gouldian fledgling out and about. Trouble is there were 2 in the nest. Is it normal for the chicks to come out a couple of days apart and will the parents feed the other chick still in the nest?

Just went and checked avairy again and can't see the fledgling anywhere. The hen bird then went back in the box and I could hear feeding. Do the chicks return to the nest at all?
TheFinchMan101

Hi yes its ok if the babies come a couple of days out of the nest apart from eachother and yes the parents still feed the babies in the nest, but normally the babies don't return to the nest they just sleep on the perch huddled up with their parents or siblings. Hope this helps :D
Simba

matcho wrote:Went down to the avairy this morning and found 1 gouldian fledgling out and about. Trouble is there were 2 in the nest. Is it normal for the chicks to come out a couple of days apart and will the parents feed the other chick still in the nest?

Just went and checked avairy again and can't see the fledgling anywhere. The hen bird then went back in the box and I could hear feeding. Do the chicks return to the nest at all?
I find some return to the nest the first couple of days others never go back, If i find one on the floor i will normaly put it back in the nest the parents will still feed it on the floor but i just prefer to put them back for safety at night.
Breeder of Gouldian Finches
choyadgreat

same here... I usually find one lazy fledgeling in the nest and one who is overly excited to come out the nest but doesn't know how to go back in... I usually pick up the early jumper and place it back in the nestbasket at night... :-)

Return to “Gouldian”