Jacarinis

djb78

Been looking at obtaining a couple pairs of jacarinis for a while but don't know to much about them and can't find alot about them. Just wondering will they go in a mixed Avery, can there be more than 1 pair in a section together. I've read that they shouldn't be placed in the same section as my strawberries due to they can cross breed. Any info on them will be a help.
Danny
Tiaris

Jacarinis will not cross with Strawberry Finches - completely different breeding biology.
More than one male Jac in the one aviary is not recommended - very aggressive. (unless aviary is huge)
Jacarinis can be slightly aggressive to new fledglings of other species if they hang hear the floor for the first few days. Not usually a serious problem though.
shox

jacarinis are fine in mixed aviary as long as there are a few nesting options within the aviary and plenty of space between the options, they are not vicious but protective of their nesting area. i have had them in mixed aviary with ob, ruddies, rfpf, painteds. The only breed i would not mix with are cubans.
toothlessjaws

with the exception of the siskins, the all the neotropical finches such as cubans, jacarini's, saffrons and red crested finches have all been reclassified as tanagers.

so technically, they are not actually considered finches anymore. instead they represent a case of convergent evolution - where a group of tangers have evolved to look and behave exactly like finches to occupy the same niche.

i thus very, very much doubt that any of them can hybridise with any other "finches" other than possibly members of their own family (eachother).
Trilobite

I have had my jacs in a mixed avairy with Cuban's and Siskins but the avairy is large. They have bred and fledged some young and are back on the nest without the young being removed yet, dare say I will have to once the new batch fledge. They are good parents and will defend the nest and the newly fledged young - this is the extent of their aggression. They love live food and flit about the aviary catching any insects on the wing, they do well on standard finch mix and some sprouted seed and finch cake. A nice additon to a well planted avairy
Cheers
Trilobite
djb78

This sounds like a nice little finch for me to master, now the thing is trying to find a nice pair before august .
Danny
toothlessjaws

djb78 wrote:This sounds like a nice little finch for me to master....
not a finch, a tanager ;)
djb78

Sorry nice little tanager to master
Danny
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

nice profile pic TJ :lol:
shouldn't he be toothless?
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
nathan morley

What's a tanager ?

Return to “Jacarini”