Orange Breasted Waxbill building nest

Includes Species Profile
flap

Redwing, the whitest one died the other day. so we only have one left, it has a lot of brown and only some white on the flights.Will keep you update on what colour it moults to. The previous two batches have been normal in colour. Congrats on your two babies.
flaP
Tiaris

At the risk of putting my head up again to have offal thrown at it, I have to say that Orangebreasts are definitely not typical Spring/Summer breeders. Very much Autumn/Winter/Spring breeders who break from breeding for a moult & rest in the hottest Summer months. Mine are currently finishing either off 1st rounds or into 2nd rounds for the year. Just wanting accurate info put to beginners not trying to tread on toes.
shox

I totally agree tiaris, have had OB's breed through winter in previous years, I think due to the sixe of them summer puts too much strain on them. I also agree with Flap, plenty of white feathers to keep the nest warm during cold nights.
chillired

Shox where about do you live
Cheers
shox wrote:chillred, I noticed your location I amnot too far away,my OBs just finished rearing young, built a new nest, the cock today was giving the hen some of his magic today. I think the weather conditions have had something to do with the extended season. They should be right, if you have any cod liver oil mix some into the the seed, it will help reduce egg binding problem. About 5ml mix through the seed.
Trilobite

yep us too, have some young ones fledged a day ot two ago and we live in Brissy (approx 10c overnight at present) - no white wing coverts - yeah. It is amazing to hear the parents inctrease thier calling when they are due to come out of the nest, so observe and listen and see what you can predict.
Cheers
Trilobite
flap

So if they are winter breeders, how do you go with chick mortality? We lost all three chicks the other morning, guesisng they just got too cold. They were only starting to get some wing feathers, the rest of their bodies was pretty bare so no way to keep warm...
flaP

Return to “Orange Breasted Waxbill”