Orange Breasted Waxbill building nest

Includes Species Profile
chillired

Hi just new in this game but I notice that my orange breasted is building a nest. Is it normal that they build nest at this time of the year.
Thank you for any information from all the expert
Cheers
Jonathan
Redwing

Hi Johnathan Mine have their first young in nest at the moment but it's warmer here than over your way. Have to presume they know what they're doing. Their nest is full of white feathers so would be really toasty for babies.
Buzzard-1

The usual nesting time is spring through summer, they could be building a roosting nest although this is not a common occurrence. If they are going to nest to breed keep a good watch for egg binding, this is common this time of year especially with first year hens.
Redwing

Good luck Johnathan. My first baby fledged today,don't know how many are in nest but fingers crossed there'll be a couple more
flap

Our OBs are just weaning off two babies (we lost the third :() and I noticed today they are starting to nest AGAIN!!!
Redwing, congrats on fledgeling, we have had clutches of 3-4 chicks. maybe we can swap blood? waiting till our two colour up fully as they came out with lots of white...
flaP
shox

chillred, I noticed your location I amnot too far away,my OBs just finished rearing young, built a new nest, the cock today was giving the hen some of his magic today. I think the weather conditions have had something to do with the extended season. They should be right, if you have any cod liver oil mix some into the the seed, it will help reduce egg binding problem. About 5ml mix through the seed.
Redwing

Sounds good Flab. Thought when we saw the chick yesterday that it looked a couple of days too early. The parents had it up near the nest by late afternoon so was hoping they would lead it back for the night. No sign of any chicks today so fingers crossed that it's back in the nest. Will let you know. Where were yours white? This one just looked like a miniature version of Mum without the red highlights on beak and brows. When do you band them? Mum has lost hers so either have to catch her and redo her or do the young and there doesn't look much leg to attach a band to!
flap

Yes Redwing, one is mostly white with a bit of dark. the other is probably 3/4 brown. there was a third but a cat or butcher bird got it. Our white one got sick today, so hoping he will pull through...
Chillired, I guess the only caution with nesting now is whether the chicks get too cold. this is what happened to ours today I think.

Edited to add: Leg rings are tricky with OBs - with the last clutch they fell of pretty quickly! haven't tried them on these guys yet, way too little. Even the smallest ones are too big.
flaP
chillired

thank you to all I'll keep an eye on my OB and will add some code liver oil thank you once again.
Yes maybe we could I'll keep you guys updated on what is happening
Redwing

Would like to know how yours go. Give them tons of white feathers! I've definately got 2 babies, out of the nest most of today,but have been in and out the last couple of days. Flab saw the photos you posted, will be interesting to see what happens when they colour up and what the next batch look like.

Return to “Orange Breasted Waxbill”