Blue gouldian breeders

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
loz

Hi Tony.
There is no way of PM you. I think the admin. has blocked them.
Loz.
Diane

You will need 5 posts on the forum to have access to the pm section.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Mr Tino

Hi loz do another 4 post then we can get in contact with each other and exchange phone number and we talk about prices of the blue gouldian finch.

cheer from tony :wave: :thumbup: :thumbup:
okiebirds

Hello my friends!

Its now been over 4 years and I have to say I've now bred over 100 blue gouldians with a less than a 5% mortality rate at Fledgling age and even less mortality with Silvers.

Im moving on to other mutation projects that include Lutino, blue face and seagreen. I look forward to being a regular contributor here and sharing my findings here.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad to hear that you have had success with the blues. And look forward to hearing how you go with the other mutations.
LML
LML
elferoz777

$ 150 for a split bird
$ 350 for a blue
$ 500 - 600 for a blue with a split as a pair. Price varies with breast colour and other factors.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
iaos

elferoz777 wrote:$ 150 for a split bird
$ 350 for a blue
$ 500 - 600 for a blue with a split as a pair. Price varies with breast colour and other factors.
Elferzo has the price changed in 3 years? ;-)

Cheers Ian
iaos

okiebirds wrote:Hello my friends!

Its now been over 4 years and I have to say I've now bred over 100 blue gouldians with a less than a 5% mortality rate at Fledgling age and even less mortality with Silvers.

Im moving on to other mutation projects that include Lutino, blue face and seagreen. I look forward to being a regular contributor here and sharing my findings here.
Congrats Okie.

From what I have read gouldians are much more domesticated in the US and Europe and the mutations are much further advanced. I.e. there is a much high survival rate among blue gouldians and breeding blue to blue can occur in some circumstances.

Do you bred in aviaries or cages? Another thing I have noted from some US breeders is that when breeding indoors they provide 14 hours sunlight throughout the year.

Cheers Ian
elferoz777

iaos wrote:
elferoz777 wrote:$ 150 for a split bird
$ 350 for a blue
Elferzo has the price changed in 3 years? ;-)

Cheers Ian

LOL if they are cheaper let me know before I go hunting more!

I didnt pay that much for mine but these are the prices I see around Sydney and in the gouldian mecca I mean Victoria....though thre is variation from breeder to breeder. No doubt about ti the qaulity is down south unfortunately. I had a bloke want to give me $ 650 for 2 blue young...actually he checks in every 3-4 weeks to ask if they are still going strong. Blues are the only mutation I will not sell unless fully coloured. Id rather keep em and build up a decent number so there is a good base in nsw.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
okiebirds

iaos wrote:
okiebirds wrote:
From what I have read gouldians are much more domesticated in the US and Europe and the mutations are much further advanced. I.e. there is a much high survival rate among blue gouldians and breeding blue to blue can occur in some circumstances.

Do you bred in aviaries or cages? Another thing I have noted from some US breeders is that when breeding indoors they provide 14 hours sunlight throughout the year.

Cheers Ian
I cage breed for controlled results and more precise record keeping. I do utilize "inside" aviaries with separated sex during the off season. I bred blue/silver back to green/yellow common stock. I have also mixed in outdoor bred Florida birds into my stock. Its does tend to add in unknown splits but I feel the increased size and heartiness of outdoor bred stock has been the secret for larger and stronger birds. All of my birds have access to natural lighting during the off season in the aviaries and commercial UV lighting during breeding season. I hope that answers some questions.

I see where pricing was brought up so I will share mine. My prices are slightly lower than the going rates at shows and much cheaper than privately owned aviaries businesses.

I sell blues for $125
silver $150
Natural colors (all birds are split to blue) $60
Yellows (also all split blue) $65
Pricing is for single males add $10 for single females. Pairs are always negotiable. And Im always up for a good trade be it merchandise, seed, cages etc...

I usually cull 5-6 from the new young for myself once colored in and sell the rest of the chicks along with 5 or 6 2-3 yr old previously bred adults if the purchaser wants to breed. I do not sell at shows.

Return to “Mutation Finches”