Hooded Parrots

djb78

Tintola I have never kept them but a relative has when he was breeding alot if speices of parrots, he used to have them in a big flight and all nest boxes were insulated and had a heat lamp attached and a jar with water so he could keep heat and humidity in the nests for young, don't know the exact results but do remember he had alot of young and he always let all his parrots pick their own mate then sold off excess birds, thus is where I got most of my parrots from but never had anything to hard to breed.
Danny
BENSONSAN

Nathan you stated the obivouse ....read vr1tons post and carefully. He knows there not licensed. Dude check before you juump in a comment. Not having a go at you but your reading everything wrongly. And trust me vr1 ton knows. He keeps more birds then you and i combined a then some!!!
Tintola

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The first clutch of two did well and are now independent. I removed them to another aviary and the parents went straight back to nest and are now on another four eggs. Unfortunately this time not in the heated box, but the weather is warming now and by the time the young are two weeks old (the critical period) it will be mid September and if I notice that the hen is not brooding at night I will bring them in until morning. Fingers crossed. :thumbup:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does anyone know why the only ones for sale in the local bird shop are uncoloured ?
Seeing more and more of them but not in their glory , just dull juvenile colours.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
VR1Ton

They don't colour up till they are nearly 18 months.
birdbrain

Hi evryone. This post is a bit old but I only just discovered this forum so joined up asap. I did see some cool little hooded parrots at my friend's place, so here's a few photos you might be like to check out http://australiangouldian.com/hooded-pa ... ed-parrot/. I'm interested mainly in trying my luck with gouldians but would love to own a couple of these parrots, especially the fallow ones which are cute as!! Maybe one day... Good luck everyone :thumbup:
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The only survivor of the young pairs first clutch ...

Hand reared him from day 12 or 13 and didnt want him to be a companion bird but he has gone to a lovely lady as a companion but she assures me she is looking for a young hen also .

beautiful little bird , clever and cuddly .
David Brent
Diane

Looks like he enjoys the bird blanket.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He does BB . Bird blanket went to new home with him , think it helps them settle to have something they are used too.
David Brent
Tiaris

Years ago when I bred Golden Shoulders I had a hand-reared hen which as an adult was very nippy. A real nuisance as she had no fear of humans and an overwhelming urge to bite at every opportunity. HR Hoodeds may turn out the same as they are very similar temperament to Golden Shoulders.

Return to “Parrots”