Help trying to pair goldfinches!

Includes Species Profile
Howldaloom

How do i pair my goldfinches through the wire when they are trying to tear chunks out of each other???
please dont stand in my aura
Roland Cristo

Are you sure they are a pair?
RC

Howldaloom wrote:How do i pair my goldfinches through the wire when they are trying to tear chunks out of each other???
Howldaloom

Hiya. Maby i should be giving more information :oops:

I have had my goldfinches since late 2010. I bought them from a breeder. I asked him are they related in any way? "NO" are they male and female "YES".
I want to eventaully breed from them. will they pair up do you think. "YES".

The cock does sing *not well* but i think its an age thing. The other bird doesnt sing at all. And Squats for him when singing behind the board *cant see each other*

Her beak is pearly white. There was a week when her beak had black on it again so i gave her a nest and some nesting material to play with and she came straight back inot condition in a couple of days.

His beak has the tinyist amount of black on the end of it. And has been like that for the past 8 weeks. I thought maby this is why he wont pair up with her. *8 weeks ago*

So i looked at their diets. I give them canary seed mix and a dash of millit seed. a wild seed/weed seed mix, live food! everyday! greens/herbs/dandilions everyday of the week and eggfood all week. cuttlebone, oystershell,charcoal and vitamin drops in the water plus a bath everyday.

Both birds look like they are in FANTASTIC condition. Its just the tinyist tip of his beak thats got a bit of black on it. Even with all those feeds to bring him in condition. It has stayed the same.

Right i was told to seperate them with a board get him singing for a bit. Which i have done. then put a wire devide in instead so they can make friends. ERM EXTREME FIGHTING NOW! They are trying to pull each other through the wire and not in a good way. WHILST FULL THROTTLE GROWLING! Im scared they will kill each other if i leave them in together. And NO HE DOESNT SING! EVER WHEN HE HAS HER IN VIEW! EVER!

I thought maby its coz they havent got a nest? so i put a nest in with her. aggression got worse. so i put the nest in with him. aggression got worse.
Instead of pairing up and nest building together they DEFEND THE NEST FROM EACH OTHER when in together.

So i decide to not put a nest in at all and let them intogether. OMG I CANT SEPERATE THEM FAST ENOUGH!

I no for a fact i have 1 hen. I posted pics of the cock on her because i was unsure of the sex and you guys said it was a cock bird.

How can i bring my cock in condition if he isnt? I have tried him on this diet for 8 weeks! and no change whatsoever! I have no idea how to go about this situation at all.

Its all "the hens not ready. thats whats wrong". There is no" the cocks not ready this is what to do" People are asuming its the hen!

But the thing thats really confusing me is why would a cock thats not ready to breed sit in the nest and play with the bedding alot? And defend the nest?

Any advice anyone can give me will be helpfull.

Will try to find a video on youtube of the lvl of aggression between them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY1Ndf9JGnU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a video of how aggressive my birds are to each other. NOT MY BIRDS PERSONALLY.

And they are a male and female my birds are!!!!!
Howldaloom

HE DOES NOT DO THIS HOWEVER! WHATSOVEVER!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esfU0zSzxHM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a link to my other thread with head shots of the cock in it

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=6768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sicj

I think that the bird on the bottom looks like a cross.
it does look different to the other bird outside the cage.
Howldaloom

It is a cross. but those are not my birds. im just providing that video so u get the idea of how aggressive mine are
Sicj

I was told that you can tell the difference between a male and female goldfinch by the markings on the wing.
If you open the wing up you can see a difference on the shoulder of the bird.
The one with more black or grey is the male.
That's what someone told me once.
Going by memory here.
I am sure someone on here can go into more detail about the difference.
Howldaloom

I dont think anyone knows
Buzzard-1

Get them DNA'd :wtf:
west finch

The cock bird is dark brown to black on the top section of the wing when it is opened up . Look at the section between the body and the first joint on the top side , the hen is the normal light brown . that’s what I've been told by old breeders and it’s in the book “the goldfinch “ by Massimo Natale , has very good pictures of what i mean . Hope that helps it’s how i sex mine and it works for me.
Work smarter not harder !

Return to “Goldfinch”