Fledglings

Includes Species Profile
Hvfinchy

My first season back with finches other than 3 breeds i have had for yrs and i got a pair of BFPF and they went down straight away, heard youngster cheeping away last week . Anyway i found one out of the nest sitting on top of the nest in the brush last Friday no more in the nest so i thought that was it. In the aviary this afternoon looking for the youngster and found him still sitting in the brush and he decided to head for the ground closely followed by another one i didnt even know had fledged. so the other one has been hiding somewhere in the brush since last friday. They are both well fed and in good feather and the parents have gone down again in but this time in a nest box by the looks of it. This nest was in brush and only a metre off the ground so they will nest anywhere by the looks of it.
Spitfire

To counter the fact that young sometimes jump out of the nest early. Here is a tip to what I do. I pick them up and put them in a WIRE BOX size 30 centimetres square without a top,
put the young birds in it and place it on the ground in a warm part of the aviary, with a bit of brush in it. The parents can go in and feed the babies and they in turn are contained in the box until
they can fly properly. Try it, it works.

Return to “Blue Faced Parrotfinches”