Zebra cock constant feather plucking of hen

Includes Species Profile.
Howldaloom

Hi i have had a pair of pied zebra finches now for about a month or so. I have noticed a steady decline in the hens health. I noticed when i first got them that the cock bird would sit next to the hen and just andomly grab a mouthful of feathers and pull them out.

Today i have split them up because she is going bald on the neck and shoulders and was sitting curled up on the floor. The cock bird was still going to her and plucking her feathers.

They are a breeding pair. they were nesting and had 2 eggs together when i took her away from him.

Now what do i do? I wait for the hens health to improove and her feathers have grown back. But then what? Will he feather pluck her again? and why is he doing this? BTW they have a 2ft cage to themselves to breed in.

Help!
please dont stand in my aura
VR1Ton

Unless it is a particularly good bird, I'd send it off to the petshop & replace it.
Howldaloom

It is a good bird unfortunatly and the pet shops around here have none. i had to travel to buy this one.

Maby i could put them together to get some eggs and take the cock away so she raises the chicks by herself? Is this just a bad habit he has?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Any idea if he grew up in a cage or avairy? Cause a 2ft cage is fine in theory for a pair of Zebs, but some avairy raised birds simply do not adapt and develop bad stress related habits.
LML
LML
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not sure if this sort of behavior is hereditary in Finches but I believe it is in some parrots .
Honestly I have a policy that if 1 bird is making the lives of others in the aviary uncomfortable then that bird is replaced .
Not always an easy task and just my opinion.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Howldaloom

Think i will get rid but im clueless as to wear i can get another from
Howldaloom

Could it be that he is an aviary bird jus stressed out being in a cage? or is it his personality?

He doesnt appear stressed when he does it? They will be on a perch sleeping. then he will rip a mouthful of feathers out from her then turn his head around again and fall asleep.

Return to “Zebra”