New Emblema Owner with Questions

Includes Species Profile.
rach8191

Hi everyone,

Due to an accident at the petstore I work at I now own a pair of little Emblema's. Basically what happened is I accidentally broke the little girls toe, and she bled all over the perch at work and I decided (after crying for 15 minutes) I'd buy them and take them home because I felt so bad about hurting her. I've only ever owned cockatiels so this is all very new to me. The cage I have is about 80cm long, 50cm wide and about 50cm deep. I live just north of Brisbane and it's about 15 degrees C at the moment (probably a bit warmer since that's the coast reading).

I was told I have to bring the pair in at night because its cold, and with the size of the cage it's a little bit difficult for me to do/lift. I've only had them home for about 4 hours and they are just sitting on top of their nesting basket (not in it) looking really cold (and the boy is shivering I think), so I bought them inside and put a sleeping bag over them. The cage was also wrapped in a towel outside, under a patio. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on this. I'd prefer to keep them outside but I don't want them to freeze. I know they prefer a very dry environment but I couldn't find any information regarding my area/climate specifically.

Also does anyone have any tips for what to put in the bottom of the tray. I would love to the bottom of the cage to be sand or something more like their natural environment but the tray and wire on the bottom of the cage doesn't really allow for that. Kittylitter/newspaper is just a bit drab and boring really.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2 Emblemas, 1 Yellow Sided GC Conure, 1 Pug, 8 assorted tropical fish :D
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it is not practical to put sand on the bottom of the cage, try white paper and a small bowl of sandand charcol, as they do need grit. Can you fit a small avairy in your yard for them? Say a 2mtr cube?
LML
LML
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome :D
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
matcho

Bit of a quandary is'nt it? Because the birds have come from a pet store I would think that they have become used to fairly warm envioroment, especially during the night. Try to keep them warm as much as possible but this time of year is pretty difficult to try and acclimatise them if they have been used to warmth. I'd bring them inside for the winter. Sand, charcoal is good, but keep the bottom dry as they have a propensity for spending a fair bit of time on the ground and they don't do well with damp/cool conditions. They really are lovely birds and worth the effort. Good luck

Matcho
rach8191

I'm still living at home with my parents so an aviary isn't an option unfortunately. They're only about 8 months old I think, and we've only had them in the store (from the breeder) for a few weeks.
In regards to the bottom of the cage, whatever I fill the bottom tray with isn't going to be able to reach through the bottom wires into the bottom of the cage if that makes sense. Unless it was something more than about 6cm high (the tray is about 3cm). I'm just thinking the wire isn't going to be very interesting for them...
Will they use their nesting basket? They're still sitting on top of it instead of in it :(
I'm very happy to have them though, I was amazed at how beautiful they were when we first got them. So there is nothing I can do to the outside cage that will make it warm enough? I could insulate a nesting box if I had to haha.
If the cage wasn't so bloody big this would all be alot easier, as we used to bring out little cockatiel cage in every night in winter no worries.
toothlessjaws

i think you really need to listen to the advice and stop trying to dodge around the fact that it is very likely that your outdoor cage is unsuitable for the birds. these finches are young, likely totally accustomed to an warm protected indoors and you have placed them in a cold draughty outdoor environment. in addition one is injured. i dare say sounds like they were better off left at the pet shop.

use your logic and take them inside.
rach8191

toothlessjaws wrote:i think you really need to listen to the advice and stop trying to dodge around the fact that it is very likely that your outdoor cage is unsuitable for the birds. these finches are young, likely totally accustomed to an warm protected indoors and you have placed them in a cold draughty outdoor environment. in addition one is injured. i dare say sounds like they were better off left at the pet shop.

use your logic and take them inside.
Yeah I did take them inside. I was simply getting a second opinion and I'm trying to figure out how to work with what I've got. But thanks you've been really helpful
toothlessjaws

i didn't mean sound so harsh.

but its very important that stressed birds are not left out in the cold overnight, or your highly likely to kill one or both of them. painted's do not roost in their nest at night and thus like all birds, need protection from draughts.

good luck with them. they are very popular little finches.
rach8191

Yeah I've been bringing them in every night, and because it's a bit windy at the moment I've had a towel wrapped around them. I went to the markets yesterday and a man there told me yesterday If they've never used a basket previously they wont go in it. So i replaced the basket with a box and they don't go in that either. I was told that they will make their own little next in there and sleep in it. Instead they sleep on top of the basket in the very top corner.

The hen is also bald on the back of her head, which my manager thinks was caused from some of the other finches in the cage at work. I've also seen the cock pecking at her head and I thought it might have been him that caused the baldness but she (my manager) assures me he is probably just trying to groom her or cause feather regeneration.

Can anyone suggest anything I can put in the cage to make them feel a bit more comfortable? I have a little wooden mirror stand, a small swing and a mirror bell thingy. I really want to give these guys a good life, and I'll do whatever it takes. I put some of the bedding material we have at work on the floor of the cage, but they've shown no interest in it. Their cage is sitting on top of a chest of draws up again the brick wall of our house, under the patio. I thought about using some kind of material to cover one side and corner of the cage to offer them some more security and warmth. I was also thinking of taking the cage to a sunny part of the yard today and letting them get some sunshine since their current position under the patio they don't get any. I'm just looking on Ebay now for a trolley or stand I can move around the patio.
Diane

You are spot on thinking about covering one side of the cage to offer that bit more protection. Good call also on putting them in the sun when you can, leave the cover on though to offer shade if required.
Bear in mind the birds have been moved from a shop to your place so they will still be settling in.
My emblemas have built their own nest, nested in a box and in a basket, pics of one of their self builds here. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4154&hilit=+emblema" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As you can see they use all sorts for the nest, feathers, bark, flowers and swamp grass or any bits of grass.
Good luck with them, they are a laid back bird and I couldnt see my self without a pair or two in the aviary. Just give them a bit of time.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Painted”