Spinifex Pigeons

McGrath

Hi all

I am hoping to get some spinifex pigeons, to put in a desert theme avery. i want to keep them with emblemas, zebs, burkes, and maybe masks.
would anybody have an idea if this will work?
what are spinefex pigeons like to keep?
and last of all, where could i find them??
Diane

I dont know enough about the mix of birds to say if it would work, I will let others tell you about that.
If those birds are compatible you could advertise in the Classifieds Wanted section for the birds you want, or scroll through the For Sale section to see if anyone has offered them for sale in the past. :D
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Danny

They will work to a degree but I have had numerous issues with them killing finch fledglings that remain on the ground.
Tintola

Good luck on all counts. Firstly on finding some for sale, can be anywhere from $250 TO $400 per pair. I find then the most frustrating of the pigeons and doves to breed. They lay eggs that are either not fertile (fostered under barbary doves) or they lay, sit for a day or two and desert the nest, or they lay and then the hen drops dead.
The most crucial factor in husbandry is a bone dry ,well drained aviary. You might be ok is S.A. As Danny pointed out they will attack any young bird not able to escape the males aggression. If buying some check the feet, if they look gnarled,twisted toes and dark crimson/red (indicating age) avoid them. Males will pursue the hens relentlessly and will sometimes kill or maim her if no cover or higher ledge or perch is available for her to escape his attention.
Having said that they can be very affectionate to each other and breed quite well.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”