Australian Yellow (AY) Babies.

Includes Species Profile.
TheFinchMan101

Will get some more pics in the next few days, it looks euro yellow but I haven't checked the eye colour yet.
TheFinchMan101

Heres a new pic of the baby, only thing im still trying to overcome is why the nodules are that colour.... exactly the same as an australian yellows nodules.

Then heres a pic of one of my AY babies with the exact same nodules

Also one more query, this baby at the front, is it a dilute?? just by comparing it to the others it looks so. both parents of these babies are yellow, dad being DFY and mum being SFY.
Craig52

I'm starting to think DF regardless of the colour of the noduals,in the early days pairing DF cock to a SF hen was a no no as there was a leathal factor from that pairing in the young and not many of them would survive.Looks like you might have cracked a full nest but as you say there still might be AY in them.Keep the pics comming i'm very interested Cheers Craig :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Was there a lethal factor? Or just weak birds? Lethal factors will obviously die out, but are rare in birds that get past a single nest or two of the type . But are frequently claimed to exist, when really it is just that the type is new and inbred so weak.
FM the 2 different shades could just be the difference between the sexs?
LML
LML
E Orix

Natamambo & Simba
I am definitely well back when it comes to genetics. Your comments about the bird being EYG/AYG confused me
so I contacted Mike Fidler for his comment. His reply as follows.
"It would be impossible to be EYG and AYG. However crossing them would create something different to both.
Genetically how it would pan out I have little idea at this stage".
It doesn't anwer the original post but another opinion I guess.
natamambo

E, I don't understand what you & Mike mean by "EYG" and "AYG". However his statement makes no sense as quoted by you. It is possible to have EY which have white breasts, EY which have blue backs. Both of these have exactly the same inheritance pattern - autosomal recessive - as AY. The sex linked colour is inherited quite independently of the autosomal colour.

An EY bird can be split for WB, it can be split for blue. In fact this season there seemed to be more EY split for blue available than normals split for blue (probably as people chase silver). The same logic applies to Aus yellow. It is no different to red headed and black headed both being able to be in either WB or blue and both WB and blue.

I'm not saying outright Mike is wrong, just what your report says doesn't make sense genetically.

Use any of the forecasters, pretend blue is AY (since the European forecasters don't have AY) and see what I mean.

Remember that two separate genes are controlling the absence of melanin and theoretically they will work independently - possibly resulting in a very clear bird.
E Orix

EYG European Yellow Gouldian AYG Australian Yellow Gouldian

You are a brave man taking on Mike.When it come to Gouldians.
No one is right every time including Mike so I guess people shouldn't be dogmatic.
natamambo

E, re-reading your quote I suspect there are two issues at play. A bird cannot display both EY and AY as in effect, apart from the mottling, they are the same, especially if the EY is WB. This is the phenotype.

However Mike goes on to say that combining them would produce something different - which means that it is genetically possible according to Mike, it's just that he doesn't know what it look like. So I stand by my contention that the most likely outcome is a very clear yellow backed bird. Certainly a bird which visually cannot be distinguished from either yellow form but just "different" somehow without it being clear (no pun intended) why.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with Natambo re the visual outcome of crossing EY & AY. Just look at the pics on the "What Are We?" Threads as they can't according to every genetic forecaster we have used be anything but EY x AY - Genetically a bird cannot be both, fair enough. But it can be one split for the other without the slightest difficulty going on genetics.
LML
Last edited by finchbreeder on 01 Mar 2012, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
LML
E Orix

I am right out of my depth in this area. What I can say is how sure a large percentage of serious Gouldian breeders
are when it comes to genetics.
Many years ago I learnt that most things pertaining to our birds may not be so straight forward as one presumes
hence I use the words possible ,maybe,could be rather than ,it is,has to be and so on.
There is an inference that a personal opinion is the only way to go or get point across.
Just an observation no malice intended

Return to “Gouldian”