cordons

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
djb78

Can anybody tell me what the difference is between the blue cap and blue breasted cordon blues. Have been reading about cordons and then came across the blue chested which I've never heard of. Would it be very similar to the blue cap in breeding feeding and housing. Are there any in Australia and what would the price be for them?
Danny
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

don't think there is any left in Australia.... bit of a bummer hey....pete
E Orix

I think there are a few tucked away as for being pure????
They are more like Red Cheeked Cordons than Blue Caps maybe a little brighter and no red patch
Basically the same size and blue location.
Maybe someone who went on the African Bird Tour can supply a photo as there were many seen then.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wow Orix!!! :D :D :D :D they are my favourites even over blue caps (say whaaaaaaaaat?? )
Blue breasts - about the size and colour areas of a red cheek, samehorizontal position, much brighter blue, no cheek patches. I have never seen a hen.
Blue-Caps - Upright position on perch, blue had most noticable feature, sky blue. Hens the way to tell RC from BC is the forehead - blue in bluecap, brown in red cheek.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Tiaris

Blue-breasteds have a much darker (less pink) beak, shorter tail, more dumpy posture & more extensive blue chests & flanks compared to the other two. Haven't seen a pure one in Australia since I was a kid.
djb78

Suppose a blue chest may be outa the question then after cordon mastering will have to look at blue caps instead thanks guys
Danny

Return to “Non Specific Questions”