strawberry

Includes Species Profile
djb78

In the red avadavat dano_68 stated that the Orange type in rare, just wondering because my pair are Orange and thought that they were just as regular as the normal red coloured strawberry, was told that they were called a tiger finch because of the colour and the only difference between the Orange and the red is it's from india instead of china. Am I sitting on a rare colour?
Danny
Diane

Could you post some pics please? I would be interested in seeing them.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Tiaris

They will colour a rusty/orange colour if they moult in a cooler aviary without much direct sun. Same birds moulting in a warm sunlit aviary will come through much redder. Also some mixture of subspecies with some genetically redder than others.
djb78

Ok so the ones here in Vic will be more of an orange than a red. Would post a picture but phone won't let me
Danny
shox

be careful not a hydbrid mix with an orange breast.
djb78

Strawberries are in a different flight to my OB's don't like hybrids but thanks for tip. Will try this season on keeping Mexican siskins with canaries in the same aviery with st helenas and gouldians for the first time- only 2 pair of siskins. If they show an intrest of cross breeding then new cabinet will have to be erected.
Danny
djb78

Got a shot of my male but he's not very photogenic
untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny
desertbirds

Quite a few articles suggest that strawbs in a cooler climate never reach their full colour potential.Occasionally bright red full colour (almost a pink tinge) would turn up in Adelaide.These birds were almost always from QLD.When my dad kept them in Adelaide they were never quite as good looking as the birds from further north.
djb78

untitled.jpg
Think this picture a bit better. Its the same as the preivious but bigger. If you look at the tail you can see orange and white feathers instead of the normal strawberry colouring. He seems to be still moulting as pin feathers are still coming out in his face.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny
Buzzard-1

Finch 005.jpg
This bloke changed from hen colours to orangey to red during the lead up to breeding.

Return to “Red Avadavat”