New Blue-headed Gouldian, 2011

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Blue Cuban

Gouldianpaul how did your birds colour up?

Cheers
Rich
Hobby finch Keeper
Redstar

These Blue Heads really are stunning birds.
Any ideas on how much they are worth?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you will find that only Cando in the US has reached the stage of having sufficent to sell. The rest are still building up numbers by outcrossing and then breeding back. But would be delighted to find I am wrong.
LML
LML
Mr Tino

Hi Redstar these blue head Gouldian their is none of these Gouldian in a Australia at the moment what I know of ,what I be doing is try to work on them and trying to bring the colour in the head by doing a lot of out cross until I get the same bird as the oversea birds. Once they are establish then You can name your price I hope this will help you mate. :thumbup:

Cheer from Mr Tino
Last edited by Mr Tino on 14 Aug 2015, 20:26, edited 3 times in total.
elferoz777

Ive got one male with good head colour. Its light blue from some angles. I kept him for the red line in the chest and he has won some shiws.

Ill post a pick soon.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
werty

elferoz777 wrote:Ive got one male with good head colour. Its light blue from some angles. I kept him for the red line in the chest and he has won some shiws.

Ill post a pick soon.
2 of my males have the red line in the chest, is this a good thing to have?, the bloke I bought them from said its the original Gouldian colour to have the red line
elferoz777

Not sure if its a good thing to have but I like the look of it.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Mr Tino

Hey guy this topic was talking about blue head Gouldian it wasn't talking about red line in it chest keep it on the topic what the heading is saying.

Cheer from Mr Tino :thumbup:
gouldianpaul

Redstar wrote:These Blue Heads really are stunning birds.
Any ideas on how much they are worth?
The establishment of this mutation hass not been easy. Again this year I put down 2 pairs with nests of 4-5 young, but only 2 end up reaching independence. This has happened to every nest for 3+ years with these birds. So again this year I only ended up with 6 currently on the perch.

As for what they are worth it is premature to have those discussions. We haven't worked out if they are sex linked or recessive or established a consistent colored bird. For example we haven't worked out why only cock birds have produced the blue head....to me this suggests it is sex linked but more work is still needed.

I've now been working on my "blue heads" for 3 years with limited success....not sure if it is an actual mutation or color variation, which is why questions on price are premature.

I'll be putting down 2 or 3 pairs of these birds again in 2016 and will definitely introduce new blood to my current stock. Hopefully some consistent results will soon come.

Cheers
Paul
Redstar

Thanks everyone for your replies, I appreciate your time.

It sounds like I might have jumped the gun a bit lol :-D

Good luck to all involved in bringing these guys through!

Return to “Mutation Finches”