Young Lesser Redbrows

Normal and lesser Red Browed.
Includes Species Profile.
desertbirds

4 new arrivals.A few new nests in there as well. I should go fishing more often. :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dawwwwwwww!!!!! so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!
well done DB :D
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
gomer

A good start to the season. You must be dealing ok with any rodent problem.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
desertbirds

The temperature has dropped right off overnight and the rodents (at least at my place) virtually disappeared overnight.Still have baits set and not a nibble to be seen.Cant quite work out birds do so well here through winter ? Nice days admittedly but the nights are very cool.
Danny

Any special diet for the lessers??
desertbirds

Not particulaly a special diet.I have been on holidays so before i left i loaded my hilux ute with termites,flew in a kilo of lesser mealies(little brown ones) and basically had it set up so that if we ran out of termites there would still be livefood.At the end of summer i picked as many seed heads as i could muster up and froze them in bags to supply one days feed.They also get a full lebanese cucumber every day and of course basic finch mix.You could use soaked seed if there are no fresh seed heads around and last year i provided aphids (lots of them) when they were available.Lessers arent too specific and once young have hatched generally they are great parents.I think some other breeders have good success with maggots as the live food source.Mine have never picked up a normal size mealworm so i dont recommend them.
nathan morley

Nice baby finches mate.
BENSONSAN

Redbrows lessers or normal are still and always will be to me the most beautiful bird of all time :D in my opinion (biased) Great to see you breeding them! I have a hunch that when i bought my normals that they wer wild and alas very hard to breed having said that all normal reddies dont breed heavily. Having said that i have mentioned here before that all my redbrows feed my gouldian young!! both in nest and fledged on the perch. Looking at your young ones tho and the side nodules near the beak i guess they do look very similiar.

Hey desert have you bred normals and are the lessers any easier?? Ive sene articles and books saying lessers are easier and breed more young. But i honestly dont know if that is the case? Especially seeing ive never seen any for sale here in sydney. Just the cages full of normals for the cheap price of $35 a pair :shifty: Also while i ask is anyone here breeding double bars in any huge numbers? Ive bred a few but when i read articles they say they can be prolific i never found this to be the case. Sneaking suspicion shadows them also.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats so cute . What a nice surprise to come back to . :thumbup:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent

Return to “Red Browed”