Gouldian Beak

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Freddy Finchman

I noticed this baby that i bred and has a longer lower mandible than the top one !!
I was wondering if this is a common thing ?? maybe someone on the AFF that can advise me ??
finches lower beak.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheFinchMan101

Never seen that before. Looks like a deformity to me
nathan morley

I have never seen that before has the top mandebal bean broken?
Buzzard-1

Are the parents closely related? looks like a deformity to me. You will sometimes get this type of thing from humidity issues during incubation, but in normally in incubators.
Freddy Finchman

No Buzz, the hen is from one breeder, The cock from another, all the other young are no worries, but it is the last one out ! :crazy:
Cheers Freddy
Buzzard-1 wrote:Are the parents closely related? looks like a deformity to me. You will sometimes get this type of thing from humidity issues during incubation, but in normally in incubators.
Diane

Buzzard-1 wrote:humidity issues during incubation
Is that too much or too little or can this type of thing happen at both extremes?
Have you seen the bird can eating and drinking ok? Does it feel thin?
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
amalan11

I have a zeb who has a bottom beak problem ,I brought him several months ago as an adult as I felt sorry for him,his bottom beak was very crooked and about 3 cm long growing upwards it looked equal to his eye!!!..it needed cutting and that was easy but its still very crooked to one side and prob .5 cm to the right.
Your gould had better be watched as if it keeps growing it will need trimming ..other than that with my zeb I found once the beak was cut best as possible he got on fine hes gained weight and is a normal boy in all other ways so with a trim every couple of weeks your guy should be fine .
Its interesting that he had coped with his awful beak,he was skinny and scruffy but just determened,I had to leave him like he was while I found the cockys toe clippers and poor fellow had got down in the seed dish and was feeding with great difficulty but getting his share slowly..his biggest problem was that after his beak was trimmed he had to learn to balance with his head up straight :lol:
Buzzard-1

If you are going to trim beak (I would)the sooner the better before it causes other hassles.
flap

Buzz - is that to make his bottom beak the same as the top one (excuse my complete ignorance...)
flaP
Buzzard-1

From the photo it looks like the bottom, but the top may need a file to match beak up as close as you can to normal.

Return to “Breeding Finches”