Pampas grass

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
spanna

:lol: well in that case, there are a couple of adult plants about as well with some old flower spikes on em. Next time your up this way I'll show ya where.
gomer

The last lot i got was from the back of the ute. I stood on the back and got my dad to reverse into them so i could cut the heads off without getting any cuts.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
MadHatter

I know of a couple of good stands in areas I frequent. Have been watching them and waiting for them to attain maximum fluffyness. Not that I have any use for them at the moment, but any of you melbournites let me know if you are interested and I'll be more than happy to hook you up. will only cost you an aviary tour. :lol:
MadHatter

Turns out it's been longer than I thought since I last checked on that stand of pampas. Just went by today and it's already a little past it's best. It's still well worth having if anyone wants, but we'd have to get on it sharpish as some of the more wind-exposed clumps are already looking a bit tatty. I'm not cutting any for myself this time 'round as I may have to move house soonish, so all my birdy plans are on hold until that's sorted.
If anyone out there wants some, let me know ASAP and I'll get onto it, otherwise I will post again when the next crop comes up.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

maybe bag some up then put it in the classifieds area, sell it to those who want/need it for the cost of postage.
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
MadHatter

I considered that, but it's just gunna be another thing I'd have to store and shift if I end up moving. Right now I need to be chucking out most of the odds-and-ends I've collected over the last few years rather than adding to it...
Tiaris

Haven't used pampas grass for years as I haven't seen it growing anywhere near where I live now but we used to use plenty of it years ago. Most finches love the stripped pieces of inflorescence as nest liner. I can vividly remember as a kid my Dad's Red Strawbs in particular would go mad over it.
We had a large tuft of it growing in our backyard at the time & it was solely responsible for numerous Bandaids to be used in our house. I don't think I would grow any here even if I could get some plants as I know I would be causing my own kids some painful memories of their own. Would love to find a patch to cut a bag of heads from though.

Return to “Types of plants”