keeping softbills?

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
E Orix

I have not had any problems running Wrens with Chats but I would be wary of running Red capped Robins with Chats as the Robins could react to the Crimson of the Chat.
I have found the Crimson Chat a great bird.
I notice that someone(PetLink) from Coffs area was trying to sell Crimson Chats @ $250 this is well below the normal selling price.
Danny

Nrg800 wrote:I was talking about the Introduced ones, So they're not easy to keep? Damn :lol:
They are really easy to keep, just a bit grumpy. They do well on a basic softbill mix and some mealworms.
Danny

natamambo wrote:I know one man's trash is another man's treasure but starlings??????? These are a major pest. I have even been in Coonabarrabran when they were so bad every evening at dusk hundred of rounds were fired into the sky to scare them off roosting in the trees. WA lives in fear of them crossing the Nullabor. They are known for spreading a number of human and animal disease. So, why keep them? Aren't you scared of the risks to the rest of your collection?
A healthy bird is a healthy bird, regardless of species. You could get just as sick from a gouldian if it carried the right pathogen.
I'll also take a pair of Indian Mynah's any day if someone can find me babies to hand rear (or better, hand rear them fo me).
Remember galahs, 28's, weavers, pigeons, oriental magpie robins, java sparrows are all pests somewhere too, but someone has to love them.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sure, no problems ILAB, will get your address for mailing them to you (photocopying takes less than a quater of the time of scanning!) when I call you in a few days time :D
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Tintola

Danny wrote.
Ill also take a pair of Indian Mynah's any day if someone can find me babies to hand rear (or better, hand rear them for me).
[/quote]
I'll put up some boxes and see if I can "breed"some for you in spring. :)
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Danny

Tintola wrote:Danny wrote.
Ill also take a pair of Indian Mynah's any day if someone can find me babies to hand rear (or better, hand rear them for me).
I'll put up some boxes and see if I can "breed"some for you in spring. :)[/quote]
Thank you kind Sir.
arthur

Saw a pic of a dilute mutation of I-M and it took my fancy

I-M's are always immaculate in their plumage, like Java Sparrows and Seagulls

Remember: " A weed is only a plant . . growing in the wrong place"
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They are very nice birds... I used to trap them! should'a told me then :D :lol:
Agreed Arthur, pretty inn their own right :)
They are highly prized in some overseas countries, so I wonder why we are trying to kill them when we could make some money and make people happy? :D
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
arthur

IT'S almost the perfect solution - an Indian-born Australian wants to send mynas back to India.

Despised across Australia as "rats with wings" or "flying cane toads", indian mynas are on the ascent in Australia, pushing native birds aside as their numbers increase.

But in their homeland myna numbers are dropping and according to one environmental visionary the answer to both countries' problem is simple - send them back.

Indian-born IT consultant Asis Das, who visits India annually, said the species known there as the "farmers friend" was declining because of India's exploding population, particularly in the eastern state of Bengal.

The resident of Illawong in Sydney's south is ethically opposed to killing the birds as part of eradication programs especially if they are under threat in their native country.

Unlike Australia, where regular attempts are made to audit and monitor threatened species, he said in India "being a poor country with 1.2 billion people there's no such thing".

While he admits having no "empirical data" to support his anecdotal evidence, "the fundamental truth is all bird populations are in decline due to population pressures".

Mr Das has contacted the Indian High Commission in Canberra and Indian wildlife authorities to find out what "many hurdles" have to be overcome.

A qualified statistician, his plan is to capture and send about 50 birds back to see if they survive the journey, ensure there are no transmittable diseases and assess if the plan is feasible.

"Then take 150-200 birds and report on that experiment," he said.

"We are not jumping the gun to say we are transporting 50,000 birds tomorrow [but] if we can solve a problem in a non-violent way then we should."

Mr Das said if trials proved successful it could pressure both the Australian and Indian governments to provide the funds to transport the invasive species back to India on a large scale.

The indian myna is one of only three birds on the International Union for Conservation of Nature's list of 100 most invasive species.

Pinched from 'Daily Telegraph' 22/11/10
Nrg800

http://la.rsmjournals.com/cgi/reprint/3 ... _1/120.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)

Return to “For any species not listed below”