silly diamond doves

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ive never had so much disharmony in an aviary as I have had since I put the Doves in to the mixed parrot aviary .

I usually can go in to the aviary and no one really makes fuss , they just watch me to see what goodies I have or simply move to the end of the aviary NOW they thrash about or fly into my face in panic mode because the Doves set them off with their erratic behaviour .

To make things worse I cant even give them away as someone ( the Bourke hen I assume ) has given the girl a good plucking around the neck and I cant pass them off in that condition .

Truly regret buying them and cant wait to get them out of there .

Just venting ...
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
mackstaa

Better to have tried than not tried at all and wonder about it all your life!
Good riddance I say :)
Mackstaa
desertbirds

Been there and done that except the diamond doves gave the Turqoise Parrots what for.Not a good combo and as you said virtually a give away even if they breed. I didnt realise they could really give the parrots a good whack with their wings. I think they are a bit over rated as species to mix with finches and small parrots.Not sure what others think but ive seen the Masked Doves in mixed aviaries and thought they were a bit calmer.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

its like with every thing else , you get your good and bad. the first pair i had drove me and the other birds nuts, the young that i bred form them did alot better as they were bought up in that environment. Dont keep them with anything remotly expensive.....pete
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think a time out by themselves while I try to find a new home for them is the answer.

That will give the feathers a chance to grow back .

Glad I'm not the only one who has had the same problem .Well not really but you know what I mean .

Yep very over rated little bird but I'm sure in the right aviary they would be fine ...just not my aviaries.
David Brent
VR1Ton

Never had trouble with Diamond Doves, Peacefuls on the other hand are absolute psyco's.

DB If you think Diamonds will give the birds a whack, wait till you've got a Wonga Pigeon on the nest just inside the door, even the Red Rumps & King Parrots wouldn't go near them, plus you get a slap up the face if your not looking.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Whacked by a Wonga ....thats gotta hurt .
We used to get them bringing their young up to the wild bird feeder (not in Dubbo) , they are solid buggers . Bloody nice bird too .
David Brent
djb78

I also have had diamonds found them to be very skittish, even knocked a Canary hen off her nest bashing finches off perches, won't be getting any in the near future, just disappointed that they act like this because I really like the look of them.
Danny

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”