Hi from Vic

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
vpacker

Hi fellow finch fanatics,

I live in the northern beaches up around Dee why so I'm not blessed with the rural setting. I use to have finches when I was a kid and recently I decided to build a couple of aviaries and start up again.My collection thus far is very modest and I've had bad luck mostly with the birds I've had.
I started off with a pair of Diamond Sparrows, Pair of Red face parrots and a pair of cordon bleau's. Within 2 days the red faced parrot hen up and died for no apparent reason,and over the course of a few weeks with butcher bird attacks and whatever I finished up with just the male cordon bleau left. Subsequently I bought some more birds and all things were going well until I decided to go on holidays in the US and left my 80 year old mother in law in charge of looking after the birds. This along with her friends she managed to do for five straight weeks and then on the day before I returned she accidently forgot to lock the food door properly and most of them ended up flying the coup, so I'm back to square one again.

I've decided that I'm going to stick with one breed only for a while which I used to keep when I was a kid that being the double bar finch. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding anybody with this breed anymore, you use to be able to get them easy in the old days, So having said that I'm keen to know of anybody who has this breed and lives in my neck of the wood so I can perhaps buy a couple of pair off them.

Thanks Vic
Buzzard-1

G'day and welcome vpacker :wave: After 5 approved posts(to prevent spam) more of the Forum will become available to you. :thumbup:
TheFinchMan101

Hello, welcome to the forum :D
mattymeischke

G'day Vic, and welcome.
I know a bloke in Berkeley (Illawarra, south of W-gong) with double-bars; I am interstate right now, but could get his details to you when I get home.
Of course, you can likely find them closer to home.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
vpacker

mattymeischke wrote:G'day Vic, and welcome.
I know a bloke in Berkeley (Illawarra, south of W-gong) with double-bars; I am interstate right now, but could get his details to you when I get home.
Of course, you can likely find them closer to home.
Thanks Matty I appreciate the feedback, yes I would be interested if you could supply me with his details

Regards Vic
Diane

:wave: Hi and welcome to the forum Vic
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
mattymeischke

No worries, Vic, I'll dig it up for you when I get back from NT in a week and a bit, and PM you then. Funnily enough, I was checking out the bush stone curlews at 'Crocodylus' wildlife park this morning when about 10 double-bars flew into it's enclosure and started feeding. The Top End is a dream for Aussie finch lovers.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
woodstockaus

Hi Vic, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your run of disappointments - sorry I can't put you on to any double-bars, but I certainly hope you manage to find some and then get to enjoy them!
gomer

Welcome Vic to the AFF. Hope your run of bad luck has finished. I am sure you will get some double bars soon,surely they can't be that hard to source your way ? Any way you will be able to use the classifieds shortly. :D
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
djb78

Hi Vic welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about all your losses, your hen died in 2 days was she healthy when you got her or maybe she was stressed or cold.
Danny

Return to “Introduce Yourself”