Goldfinch STILL not in condition!

Includes Species Profile
Howldaloom

Ok i have had my Goldfinches OVER a year now. I bought them mid 2010 and they were around 8 monthes at that time.

Anyway my hen is in full breeding condition. Ripping up paper etc and trying to nest and calling for a mate.

My other bird i had DNA sexed because he has never sang properly and he is indeed a male.

BUT he has NEVER been in breeding condition in over a year. He moulted about 2 monthes ago but he is still not in condition!

He is eating eggfood/livefood everyday as well as greens. He gets a seed mix (canary mix, lots of niger, groats, and a wild seed mixed in with it all)

His beak has never been all white either and in the peak of the season he STILL has not sang. He is not with the hen atm but in a cage out of view of her.

Why isnt he coming into condition???
please dont stand in my aura
djb78

How old is he you have had him for a year now but how old was he when you got him? Diet might be an issue is he getting alot of Sun, to much oily seed can make them lazy and give no sex drive and lack of Sun will prevent lack of d3 vitamin which helps calcium absorption. These are two off the top of my head.
Danny
Howldaloom

He has vit d3 added to his water. And he is about 16 monthes old now i should think.

He is getting plenty of niger seed, but thats normal for goldfinches. Aswell as sunflower hearts but he only has like 3 of those every couple of days.

The rest is a standard canary seed mix and a wild seed mix mixed together
Howldaloom

Maby cut out the groats?
dano_68

You may need to introduce a new male to get this male up and going. Having a little competition often spurs lazy males into top breeders!
Howldaloom

I have been looking for another pair but its very hard in uk to find a breeder

Return to “Goldfinch”