multiple pairs in avairy

Includes Species Profile
lardles

Hi , bred a couple of males this year and have got a hen at Ballarat Bird Sale - currently in holding cabinet/ quarantine.
Has anyone had success with more than one pair in large planted avairy. I have a single pair in 5m x 2.5 m well planted avairy at the moment with other finches, any thoughts on introducing another pair?
thanks,
SamDavis

Can't help with your question I'm afraid. However, I've just got two pair of Red Siskins (in separate aviaries) so would be interested in any information and tips...
djb78

I'm currently been breeding yellow hooded siskin but have been researching alot about the red siskin. The article had stated from a breeder that he found having one pair per flight gave him the best results ,then he went on saying that three pair per flight plus a spare hen was also a good combination, also when having single pairs in a flight it was better if the flights were separated so the males can't see each other. I've been researching red siskins for a while as for a couple more years of successful breeding of my yellows I'm going to get a pair of reds.
Danny
Lukec

I have not kept or bred red hooded siskins for years however one of the biggest problems you will have in housing a colony is that the cock birds will create too much distraction with each other.

Best housed as single pairs in seperate aviaries that are not adjoining to avoid distraction.
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
Tony

I have just worked out why my two hens are bald. I have a trio in a large aviary and was told this is the way to breed them. Iwatched them over the weekend and the two hens were fighting, quite vigorously,and as they fought they flew upwards until finally bashing their heards against the roof. Hence bald heads. One hen is carrying nesting material and the other is being fed by the cockbird. Will they sought out their differences and settle to nesting,should i remove one or should i add another male?
Thanks in advance.
Danny

I'd split them up. What you'll end up with is two hens that nest poorly. Start him with the hen he's feeding. Fighting siskin hens are like bitchy neighbours - it will never get better until one moves out.
SamDavis

Is this a common issue with trios? Hope not, because I just moved a hen in with another pair. Spotted the next door cock feeding her through the wire (he's also feeding his original hen). Her cock seems bored with life (or suffering from old age).
Tiaris

Depends on the individual temperament of the hens, especially the one in the existing pair who may feel her domain has been invaded by an outsider. The ideal way to setup a trio is to have the hens settled in together before adding the cock to get less rivalry between the hens. I'd keep a close eye on them after introducing the outsider hen. I haven't had much luck at all trying trios but know of a few who do so regularly with good results.
SamDavis

Might be Ok then. Both these hens were together with the "bored cock" over winter. The "randy cock" is the outsider. Nevertheless, I'll keep a close watch on them.
elferoz777

Any one got an updated experience on this?

Im considering running two pairs this year or a trio.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Red Siskin”