goldfinch help needed

Includes Species Profile
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No sorry Hayden . Wish I could help though .
I had a pair briefly in with some Zebs , I found them to be aggressive but looking back didn't really give them much time to settle before I sold them .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
nirep

Seperate the feeding stations wide apart.Sounds like you got some wild caught.Can I ask how much you paid for a pair?Do they have tanned feet or do they look pale.IF pale it would indicate cage bred.Also if the feather colours are brilliant it would indicate wild caught.Goldfinches are difficult to breed and need to feel safe and secure.You are a long way from that.Keep the cage above eye level.The birds are probably in a shock and are stressed if just caught.Keep them separate from other birds for less stress.Observe them from a distance and hopefully they settle down in a few days.
Nrg800

I haven't had my pair for long, but I can tell you that they do take a while to settle in, but once they do they are very charismatic, they do like to fly, though, and they're very curious, checking out everything in the cage! I do like them!
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)
west finch

I’ve had gold finches for about four years and this year is the first time I’ve seen the cock bird feed the hen , so maybe they may breed for me this time.At the moment I have two pair but have had five pair last year and they showed no interest in breeding at all. lost three hens witch was bad luck but got to expect that with finches . the cock birds seemed to be keen to breed but not the hens . They were wild caught birds .If they don’t breed this year in my smaller aviaries I’ll try them in the big aviary next year and see how the go in there . Once I have some aviary breed young things should improve in the future.
Work smarter not harder !
haydn92

nirep i put them in a cockatiel cage
and deb i now have 2 pairs of zebbies 2 normal(m),1 fawn(f) and 1 pied I think, i put them in with the finches shanny gave and they settled down the male i had paired up with the new female an the new male paired with the female

how many zebbies do u get from a clutch
nirep

Cockatiel cage is vague to me.Have they a chance to fly across with a little bit of hang time to fly a bit?That would be ideal.This is my cage which is not the best but I had them breed in it six months ago.Note a bit of fake green on top to feel more secure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haydn92

wre can i find plants and is that a grate at the bottom
i have a cage not as tall and wide as yours but its big enough
how many perches do i need

do u have any finch recepices(food for them)

can u give me some easy to breed finches
so know what other finches i can collect
Diane

Check out the Species profiles on the forum, each bird is profiled and will help you to make a decision on the finches that would suit your ability to care for them and the space you have available.
There is also plant section on the forum, use the search feature and you will find lots of posts detailing which plants are suitable for an aviary.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Lukec

west finch wrote:I’ve had gold finches for about four years and this year is the first time I’ve seen the cock bird feed the hen , so maybe they may breed for me this time.At the moment I have two pair but have had five pair last year and they showed no interest in breeding at all. lost three hens witch was bad luck but got to expect that with finches . the cock birds seemed to be keen to breed but not the hens . They were wild caught birds .If they don’t breed this year in my smaller aviaries I’ll try them in the big aviary next year and see how the go in there . Once I have some aviary breed young things should improve in the future.
Just reading through the Gold finch book by Massimo Natale now and he says one of the greatest challenges f breeding the goldfinch is getting a hen to settle with particular mension to wild caught hens.

Only after multiple generations of Aviary bred birds will the hens start to settle.

Might be worth getting a hold of some aviary bred hens... netsurfer on this forum has bred quite a few goldfinches.
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
haydn92

i have but the finches in a tall black cage but they still attack each other wen the attacker is eating and the the other finch tries to get a feed it gets attacked but it flies off does any one know what could be happerning

Return to “Goldfinch”