nest photo

Includes Species Profile.
amalan11

just curious,has anyone got a photo of a natural painted finch nest? they sound interesting but i cannot find a photo of one apparently they build a platform first id love to see one looking on google I can only find one natural looking one but no platform
mattymeischke

Not a wild one, but this handsome fella spent about a week making a stick platform in a branch of Leyton green (introduced conifer).
I'm not at home this week, but lady wife informs that there are cheeping noises coming out of this nest....
red paint in nest.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Diane

Again, not a wild one, but built from scratch from available material in the aviary. All I supplied was the metal holder, it was originally holding nesting material.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Nrg800

Tomorrow, when I see them again, I'll take photos of the nest my two are building in a log, not completely natural, but not in a nest box.
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)
amalan11

thanks,very interesting.In the first one I can see the supporting sticks of a platform..glad all the work paid off for them.such a complex little nest looks cosy.
I was looking at your photo lastnight bluebutterfly,its nice to see them nest with their finds and they were lovely photos.
Its just funny that when reading about painteds its always mentioned that they do such uniqe nests yet its impossible to find a photo of one.
My two have chosen a nest box but they have not added much just a few gumleaves :)

Return to “Painted”