Splendid, Variegated Wren

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
desertbirds

I`ve been waiting to get a few shots of our local Splendids in full colour. Hope you like them, they would have to be one of the prettiest birds in the country. Maybe im just biased.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by desertbirds on 22 Aug 2011, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Too right , they are gawjus ...almost metallic blue .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

WOW
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
VR1Ton

Gotta love the Turquoise, Varigated could almost be a dulcis with the rusty patch going over the back, but lacks the purple on the sides.
Harvey11

They look unreal,what a top looking bird...

Harv
desertbirds

I got a few shots a bit out of focus but the colours are amazing, this liitle guy hangs around the cafe at work, he`s a big hit with the tourists and pretty friendly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spanna

Some fantastic pics there. The colours are just so brilliant in the wrens. There has been one hanging around my aviaries that I have been meaning to try and get a shot of, though it is either a hen or a young male that hasn't started colouring up yet. Calls non-stop though! Great birds to have around, very jealous of the obvious number and variety of wrens you have near you.
Tiaris

The Variegateds are my favourite of the blue species as they have the best head & longest tails of the fairy-wrens (that I've seen). Our local ones also have a bright red back patch (nominate subspecies). The local wild Variegated boys are half-coloured now whereas our Superbs are already coloured. I love the flared wings off his chin - great photo DB!
Tiaris

cheek not chin.
desertbirds

Thanks, and i will try and post a bit of a super wren thingy soon, just trying to get good shots of White Winged and some better shots of Emu Wrens but its easier said than done. Love the flared cheek patches.

Return to “For any species not listed below”