Gouldian Not to good Since I bought her,Help!!

Includes Species Profile.
Mel7610

I bought A pair of gouldians from a big breeder a couple of months ago,Now the Normal RH Cock is fine but the RH WB hen is always fluffed up missing feathers and keeps to her self.she is eating and drinking fine and she is not at all skinny.the breeder said she has had 3 clutches last breeding season and she will come good.Any body have any idea when she may come good or experienced a hen taking her time from recouping from clutches?Should I have a chat to the breeder and see what he says I don't want to take her back as I feel she has a better home with me. Any advise/help will be greatly appreciated :)
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would put her in hospital cage with heat...if that helps sounds like an underlying issue....no dirty vent? not rasping (breathing) how long since wormed etc?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Mel7610

her vent is very clean.I wormed them all about 1 month ago when i bought the hecks. her breathing is a little laboured more so than the cock in comparison.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

if you hold her to your ear do you hear clicking or rasping sound? if you do I would suspect Air Sac Mite
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Mel7610

Ok just caught her on the quiet in the dark and she sounds horrible little a plastic bag crinkling best way I can describe!
is this the air sac mites? Do i treat all my finches that she has come in contact with?will ask google too!!
natamambo

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) (not asked yet :lol: )ASAP, with moxydectin.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mel7610 wrote:Ok just caught her on the quiet in the dark and she sounds horrible little a plastic bag crinkling best way I can describe!
is this the air sac mites? Do i treat all my finches that she has come in contact with?will ask google too!!
Yes probably brought on by stress...treat all birds as well as per natamambo post :thumbup:
Mel7610

ok very confused now asking google .
where do i get this moxidectin.
Vet or pet suppliers?very confused now. :wtf: :? :? :?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Moxidectin is spinoff of Cydectin....bird people used to use Cydectin but it was never made for birds so it was guess work for correct dosage....Moxidectin much easier to use....should be able to get from Pet Supplies or Vet..whoever has it now...you need to put a drop on back of all your birds heads...
natamambo

Vet. Very small dosage, from memory 5ml per litre of water. Keep in cage as only water source for 24 hours. Remove and repeat again in 14 days. Repeat four times (ie single dose) yearly.

PS it's also a wormer and if you get moxydectin plus it will also take out tapeworm.

It can be ordered from Colin Walker I believe, we are just up the road from him and buy it directly.

Buy the smallest bottle you can - even 125 ml is 25 doses! and it only lasts on the shelf around 9-12 months from memory.

Return to “Gouldian”