Rose-crowned fruit doves

Havealookwhatuvedone

Man, this site does not agree with my computer, super slow! Thanks for the pic! Not sure how to upload pics yet!
Regarding quarantine, and yes I feel a little guilty for not doing it, the aviary and climate they came from were quite open, visually you could see they were strong, robust birds, they'd been wormed- (though I did put a few drops of ivomec on the back of their necks before releasing), it was a rare Melbourne sunny winters day and to be honest I thought it would stress them out in a small cage for a few weeks as doves tend to be a lot more flighty in a new environment than finches and parrots. And yes, I was lazy. My god, I sound like a junkie with all these excuses don't I?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Even though they probably are healthy...it is still good bird keeping practise to quarantine....Maybe another avairy specifically for flighty birds? better then having a stressed bird get ill or an unknown contagion enter your flock....but I bet they will be okay (fingers crossed) good score :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tintola

I would not bother to quarantine them as what you did with the Ivemectin would be enough. They are totally arboreal and very rarely if ever come to the ground and as such are unlikely to get worms. I NEVER worm any of my fruit doves or pigeons and have never in twelve years had one get worms. They are very hardy if given a good diet and I have both rose and purple crowneds over ten years old and still breeding. They could however be harbouring Trichomonas or some other pathogen, but this again is highly unlikely. I have had them die, usually from hawk scare or old age or a young one fledging during cold/wet weather.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Tintola

Havealookwhatuvedone wrote: My god, I sound like a junkie with all these excuses don't I?
I'll have to take your word for that as I don't know how a junkie sounds! :roll:

Nathan, they are not a bird for someone who is not prepared to chop fresh fruit every day, as that is all that they eat apart from softfood mixes and madiera cake(fresh every day) They need a well planted aviary as they are rainforest birds and don't feel secure in an open aviary.
Havealookwhatuvedone

Thanks for all the advice and opinions everyone. All and any information first hand is invaluable. Obviously a popular (and beautiful) bird.
I often wonder about quarantine and moddy-coddling birds with the use of antibiotics etc unnecessarily - in the end it could produce a weaker strain of birds (though I do believe quarantine does have a place). Kind of like putting a pale skinned, skinny computer game playing geek in the middle of a footy or rugby field, ain't going to fare so well!!
Having background info on the birds you are buying and seeing how they are kept and fed goes a long way to settling new birds in with a minimum of fuss. Guess it all comes down to information, personal preference, observation and gut instinct!!
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:thumbup: Forbes Sale I bought home Princess Parrots ...still in quarantine as they are going in with my other PPs after breeding season .

Girl Red Rump ...no quaranteen went in with boy in suspended aviary on their own .

Scarlet Chested boy ...no quaranteen straight in with girl in suspended aviary on their own .

Quaranteen is very important however it is up to the individual as to whether they want to risk it or not .....no explanations needed . :D
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Nathan Morleyy

Tintola wrote: Nathan, they are not a bird for someone who is not prepared to chop fresh fruit every day, as that is all that they eat apart from softfood mixes and madiera cake(fresh every day) They need a well planted aviary as they are rainforest birds and don't feel secure in an open aviary.
Tintola,
I wasent thinking of getting them ( I cant afford $400 doves) and I dont have the time to chop (CHOP) up fruit for them every day.

Thanks Nathan
Last edited by Nathan Morleyy on 30 Aug 2011, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Tintola

Nathan Morleyy wrote:Congratulations mate :clap: ,
They are very lovely birds if you ever breed them I would buy a pair off of you.
Thanks Nathan
Nathan Morleyy wrote:Sounds good,
Are they hard to keep?.
Not to mention "How much are they in NSW?

So why all the questions then? :roll:
Nathan Morleyy

Tintola,
Because they are lovely doves and I am very interested about them.

Thanks Nathan
Tintola

Oh OK.

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”