Purple-crowned Fruit Doves

Tintola

Just a couple of shots of a little fellow on the day of fledging (7 days old) amazing, wings,big feet, the rest of the body is pin feathers and they can fly.
Bottom picture is still in the nest, they laid on the ground.
Top picture is about an hour later after leaving the 'nest' with both parents being very attentive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tintola on 01 Sep 2011, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
desertbirds

How many birds fledge about a quarter the size of the parents ? Thats amazing and thanks for posting some pics.
toothlessjaws

wow. that it bizarre. its feathered and tiny!
Danny

desertbirds wrote:How many birds fledge about a quarter the size of the parents ? Thats amazing and thanks for posting some pics.
Red Crested Finches do the same thing. You look at them and think "surely another 10 days in the nest would be of value".
Tiaris

Even Jacarinis sometimes too, but not quite to that extent. I find it amazing that they are sufficiently developed at 7 days to fly. Pigeon milk must be great stuff - especially the fruit fuelled brand. Thanks for the photo.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How cute is that ...and look at those feet :shock: :lol:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks half done. :silent: Typical dove nesting effort I see. They sure don't do much in the way of effort to protect the eggs/young do they.
LML
LML
Myzomela

I agree Tiaris,

I still haven't worked out how a bird eating such a low-protein diet can have young develop as rapidly as they do.

There's something we are missing here. Do fruit pigeon adults continue to produce pigeon milk for the entire rearing period? And if so, where are they getting enough protein and fatty acids from to produce this? I'm sure some smart cookie ahs worked this out. Danny???
Research; evaluate;observe;act
toothlessjaws

jusdeb wrote:How cute is that ...and look at those feet :shock: :lol:
thought the same thing! they are huge! (or at least the rest of it is tiny!)
Danny

Myzomela wrote:I agree Tiaris,

I still haven't worked out how a bird eating such a low-protein diet can have young develop as rapidly as they do.

There's something we are missing here. Do fruit pigeon adults continue to produce pigeon milk for the entire rearing period? And if so, where are they getting enough protein and fatty acids from to produce this? I'm sure some smart cookie ahs worked this out. Danny???
I don't think anybody has looked at differences in crop milk composition between granivorous and frugivorous pigeons but the rapid growth rate/leave early thing isn't restricted to fruities - also consider terrestrials - spinifex/squatters etc. They leave very early as well. Maybe its a poor nest security thing rather than a fruit vs non fruit thing. I remember hand rearing the things with roudybush squab mix. Its based on a 32 day fledging with 4 different dilution changes as things grow. These little buggers are so fast the first dilution change works out at about 36 hours old, the second by 2.5 days and so on. By 5 days old your onto standard roudybush. Its a nightmare to manage and subsequently so easy to stuff up if you aren't aware of it. And they only sold it in 5 kg bags.

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”