cinnamon diamonds have young

Includes Species Profile
wildbill

hi all
As i stepped into the enclosed section of my aviary there was a young bird about 15 days old squatted on the floor. Only 1.2 metres above it's head was the nest of a pair of cinnamon diamond sparrows.
I pass by this nest on a daily basis but i know diamonds don't like disturbances so i never touch. I picked the young one up and sure enough it's a cinnamon.
I thought for a while about how i could safely put this youngster back in the nest. After-all it's my very first diamond sparrow on the floor. So back I went to the kitchen and got myself a long handled dessert spoon.
I carefully positioned the young 'um on the spoon - it's head pointed in the direction of the nest and pushed the spoon up the entrance tunnel. Then withdrew the spoon and got out of the aviary quick.
10 minutes later i could hear the young diamonds in the nest begging for food. I again had a look late that afternoon - Good sign no young on the floor.
As of today the young as still in the nest begging away and i think that i was very lucky indeed.
Diane

Dessert spoon elevator, great idea. :thumbup: Glad it worked for you, will be something to keep in mind when I have BFPF fall out of the nest a few days early.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
salaar

My diamond did not want to feed themselves chicks. I do not know what they want???
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Diamond Firetail”